dropped base air cleaner

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rgalajda
Pro
Pro

Re: dropped base air cleaner

Post by rgalajda »

Now if I could find a work around for the goofy choke linkage that runs outside of the air horn rim, maybe I could reinstate the choke butterfly and save myself from all of that excessive fuel wash on those cold start mornings.

Good thinking
I forgot to mention measurements were with a 3" filter
rgalajda
Pro
Pro

Post by rgalajda »

skinny z wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:35 pm
rgalajda wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:20 pm
It is a 2 inch drop base. I have measured 30/64" from the top of the air horn to the lid. I use a double gasket measuring .095"
You will need angle cut vent tubes like the factory carb. Easily done if yours are not angle cut.

I personally do not like to mill off choke horns on a street carb , especially in cooler climates. There is little cfm to gain unless proper reshaping is done.

I hope this helps.
About a half inch all told then.

I'll have to get to mine and measure as well. I haven't the deepest drop base but with the 4" filter element, I'm a good distance away.
I'm of the same mind about milling off the choke horn. Although not a Holley (old Barry Grant Speed Demon) it already has a nicely contoured entry.
I'd like to go back to a 3" element but don't want to strangle the air entry.

Now if I could find a work around for the goofy choke linkage that runs outside of the air horn rim, maybe I could reinstate the choke butterfly and save myself from all of that excessive fuel wash on those cold start mornings.

Thanks for checking out those dimensions.

Try this. Don't believe they sell the rod separately. https://allcarbs.com/product/demon-elec ... 0f83e594a1
bobmc

Post by bobmc »

don't think the Chev base will clear double pumpers without mods, used the Moroso on '70 camaro that orignally had the Chevy air cleaner
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

rgalajda
Pro
Pro

Post by rgalajda »

bobmc wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:36 pm don't think the Chev base will clear double pumpers without mods, used the Moroso on '70 camaro that orignally had the Chevy air cleaner
Yes it works on double pumpers. Even the 50cc arm which is about .900" taller.
rgalajda
Pro
Pro

Post by rgalajda »

by MadBill » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:30 pm

I've seen some truly awful drop bases where, to maximize carb clearance, the 'drop' is maybe 1/2" inboard of the filter and chokes off about 2/3rds of a 3" filter's area. At the other extreme is the style used by GM on L-88 Corvettes and the like, moulded to the float bowls and with smooth 'air bell'-like contours...

This is the same air breather I posted about. The lid is also domed correctly and should be used in conjunction with the base.
EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

Many moons ago, Edelbrock made an air filter assembly which featured a raised "hump" at the front of the base to help the air go over the carb choke horn as well as a raised area at the front of the upper lid to compliment the base. Buddy of mine used the base on his MOPAR Stock Eliminator combination and said the Edelbrock base was worth a bit over a standard Moroso base.

He still has my base but the upper lid is collecting dust on a shelf in the shop. LOL

Found a picture of this hen's teeth filter assembly online.

"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ed Curtis - www.FlowTechInduction.com
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

n2omike wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:53 pm This company has a wide assortment of bases, tops and ram air inlets. Some nice stuff.
https://ramairbox.com/
I've used their parts/kits since the 1990's
The idea of cold air is probably worth more than any other consideration. The under hood temperatures of a Vega engine compartment could be hotter than most cars. I believe the formula is 1 percent horsepower for every 10 degrees colder air.
So much to do, so little time...
rp930
Pro
Pro

Post by rp930 »

bobmc wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:36 pm don't think the Chev base will clear double pumpers without mods, used the Moroso on '70 camaro that orignally had the Chevy air cleaner
It will clear an AED850
bobmc

Post by bobmc »

just checked, the pumps are ok, mild throttle linkage interference with a 0-82751- street HP
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

chevy art wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:51 am .... its on a single plane intake and that has created a clearance problem in the Vega.....
Still haven’t mentioned what single plane?

Your aim is to avoid a hole in the hood and single plane manifolds can vary in inches from Weiand 7530 Team G @ 4.095” through to a Super Victor II @ 6.5” with a multitude of manifold heights in between. Yes, they vary in rated operational rpm but it’s usually the lower manifolds that have the lower rpm window for street/strip. In the land of compromises it’s an air cleaner you might not want or a manifold you might not want or a hole in the hood you might not want.
I’m a Street/Strip guy..... like to think outside the quadrilateral parallelogram.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

Just for general information
This set up was down 3hp between 6000-7000 rpm on dyno last week
570 horse 383sbc.
I have run at track last 5 years with this set up.
Yes it is through the hood.
20220521_091206.jpg
20220521_091039.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
ChopperScott
HotPass
HotPass

Post by ChopperScott »

I’ve got a 2” drop base with 3” filter and filter top to fit under my cowl hood. I know the filter, combined with under hood temperatures, will kill some power. I’ve only run it down the track hoodless with a taller base and filter assembly. I’ve have not done a back to back comparison.
'73 Camaro Z/28 NETO/N
434 SBC 11:1, 1.294, 6.178 @ 108.87, 9.81 @ 134.93 (3060#, Naturally Aspirated, Sunoco Ultra 94)
Chopper Air Port 917-589-1278
rgalajda
Pro
Pro

Post by rgalajda »

bobmc wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:26 am just checked, the pumps are ok, mild throttle linkage interference with a 0-82751- street HP
You have the chevy base as in the picture ?
There is approximately 1/2 to 9/16" of an inch clearance above the throttle arm to the air cleaner base.
Is it a throttle cable or solid throttle ( rod ) interference ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.