Why Didn't Harley Simply Add This Counterbalancer To The Sportster?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Re: Why Didn't Harley Simply Add This Counterbalancer To The Sportster?

Post by rebelyell »

Old man here and just looked online at HD site and specifically the NEW Sportsters
My impressions: Very powerful, Very complicated, seems like it still has four cams but they're all on top, looks like a vrod ...
............new sportster (like it's fugly vrod cuz) is just plain FUGLY. While I might stomach a New big twin, I could not buy New sportster

good luck w/ that HD :-&
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

Agreed Knight, Mouse and Rebel, a Sporty is a Sportster, not a shrunk big twin. If we wanted either we would buy either.
Twenty odd years ago i built a 100" Sporty for myself, trouble was it went real good! Real good! i didn't, my capability in riding was not up to the bike's.

Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

Let's see I was 14 in 1967 used to go with my father to look at both the sportster and triumph bonneville dream of owning one. By 18 1971 had to have the honda four and it was must have power smoothness ever since. Until lately bought a new 2018 bonneville not as good looking as the older triumphs but by far best overall motorcycle I have ever had. I'm almost certain I will buy last of the solid mount sportster 2003 shortly. I will be putting it back to at least look like the late 60s sportsters when they were the strait line hot rod.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

Let's see I was 14 in 1967 used to go with my father to look at both the sportster and triumph bonneville dream of owning one. By 18 1971 had to have the honda four and it was must have power smoothness ever since. Until lately bought a new 2018 bonneville not as good looking as the older triumphs but by far best overall motorcycle I have ever had. I'm almost certain I will buy last of the solid mount sportster 2003 shortly. I will be putting it back to at least look like the late 60s sportsters when they were the strait line hot rod.
nicholastanguma
HotPass
HotPass

Post by nicholastanguma »

Truckedup wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:52 am I believe a counter balancer to deal with a 1200 cc 45 degree twin would need more space than the old generator mount at the front of the Sportster engine...

Admittedly, you may be right. :?
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

This is the best Sportster I had... Despite me not liking the rubber mounted engine, It was light at 435 pounds, quick handling and fast . Some engine tuning, conversion to chain drive for better gearing choices... The 1200 Evo sportster lump was quite happy at about 85-90 hp...
F2EA657A-EC43-4ECA-A40F-C18525FC4F89.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
dorset

Post by dorset »

lol

thats the best sporster i ever had , too, after you sold it to me.

running in modified production though, its a bear to hang onto at its best of 132mph. ive got three front pulleys thst give me some flexibility in gearing.

i dont find the vibration excessive, but ive ridden old vertical twins all my life.
i didn't mean to blow it up