plenum divider on single plane intake

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

chevy art
Pro
Pro
plenum divider on single plane intake

Post by chevy art »

read many posts about single and dual plane intakes and it was mentioned about a single plane with a plenum divider installed)(sideways)?, could someome explain this for me and hopefully some pics. thanks Art in NY
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Re: plenum divider on single plane intake

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Increases plenum velocity to any 1 cylinder as the plenum is cut in ½. Tends to help low speed drivability and throttle response on street driven cars.. Usually a bit of a peak power penalty on single carb manifolds as carb flow capacity is ½ to any 1 cylinder..
If multi carbed may not see top end power penalty, or minor power penalty.
Reduces egr effect of valve overlap at idle and low rpm.

Plenum divider is longitual.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

chevy art wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:58 am read many posts about single and dual plane intakes and it was mentioned about a single plane with a plenum divider installed)(sideways)?, could someome explain this for me and hopefully some pics. thanks Art in NY
We did it on a Cup engine in the 80s, didn't get past the dyno. 1:1 throttle linkage, separate 5 and 7.
Doesn't work, not on paper nor on the dyno.

Weiand had a low single plane that came with longitudanal dividers, they didn't ship it with a flat plane crank though.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

They came about because folks bought single plane intakes...only to find they lost a lot of low end tq. The 'fix' was a divider to halve plenum volume. A band aid fix.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Geoff2 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:26 am They came about because folks bought single plane intakes...only to find they lost a lot of low end tq. The 'fix' was a divider to halve plenum volume. A band aid fix.
Holley even recruited the great man to signature a crappy single plane "torque manifold" . Having said that, Zora never had a decent manifold for his Hemi heads that I can find.
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Tom68 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:18 am
Geoff2 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:26 am They came about because folks bought single plane intakes...only to find they lost a lot of low end tq. The 'fix' was a divider to halve plenum volume. A band aid fix.
Holley even recruited the great man to signature a crappy single plane "torque manifold" . Having said that, Zora never had a decent manifold for his Hemi heads that I can find.

image.jpg
Zora did not simply "signature" that manifold design. He supervised and did a lot of personal testing on the theory of that design for the Mopar, Chevrolet and even AMC engines using a Holley dyno and air flow room.
It was quite involved and did work at towing engine speeds.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:12 am

image.jpg
Zora did not simply "signature" that manifold design. He supervised and did a lot of personal testing on the theory of that design for the Mopar, Chevrolet and even AMC engines using a Holley dyno and air flow room.
Any idea how good it worked ?
agertz1

Post by agertz1 »

More work=more filling ? Well maybe, what if divider could smoothly telescope, up from the floor of that single plane ? Control it with mechanical
linkage or manifold vac. ? Would need enough rigidity not to bind or degrade.
Art.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

If you have to put a divider in your single plane intake, you probably have the wrong intake on the car.
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

1980RS wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:24 pm If you have to put a divider in your single plane intake, you probably have the wrong intake on the car.
Agree. There will always be a market for those that want race type parts but don’t need them. These divided singles would have targeted that market to at least improve their single plane experience where they would use it most often. Probably needed the great man on board to work out how not to make it worse than no divider for the end users expectations.
I’m a Street/Strip guy..... like to think outside the quadrilateral parallelogram.
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

1980RS wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:24 pm If you have to put a divider in your single plane intake, you probably have the wrong intake on the car.
And the carb used way too big. One does shit like that because they buy carbs based on CFM rather than venturi and throttle blade diameter
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

ClassAct wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:26 pm
And the carb used way too big. One does shit like that because they buy carbs based on CFM rather than venturi and throttle blade diameter
I know my 850 style FST vs worked great on the 358 with the dual plane, we will see what is does with the ported Vic Jr. then the ported Super Victor. It will be an interesting test to see how the carb works on those intakes.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Tom68 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:19 pm

image.jpg
Better torque from 1,200 RPM to 3,600 RPM than anything that was tested, (2 plane or small single plane), which would still have some power remaining at 5,000 RPM on O.E.M. engines ... not high-performance or race engines but, for trailer towing vehicles going down the highway.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:18 am
Tom68 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:19 pm

Better torque from 1,200 RPM to 3,600 RPM than anything that was tested, (2 plane or small single plane), which would still have some power remaining at 5,000 RPM on O.E.M. engines ... not high-performance or race engines but, for trailer towing vehicles going down the highway.
I remeber it in magazines at the time, they raved about the ingenuity, but I don't recall seeing actual comparisons.
SP2P was similar era, that was claimed to create such great cylinder fill af low revs that it caused detonation, hard to imagine on thd old low comp motors.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

On my Jim McFarland CD he said they put a divider in a victor junior and on the dyno it ripped out,so they didn't bother after that.
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"