Degree wheel with inner row of numbers that can be indexed

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Degree wheel with inner row of numbers that can be indexed

Post by Bill Chase »

Vizard recently did a video where he showed a 18-24" pro style degree wheel. It has normal outer row of numbers, but also had an inner ring with degree markings that could be indexed.

My question specifically is... Aside from taking some time doing math out of the equation when degreeing cams what purpose does it serve? I tried doing a Google search for one by CVR, Comp, etc. And came up empty.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Re: Degree wheel with inner row of numbers that can be indexed

Post by BOOT »

Think DV said in the vid, he made that wheel using a comp degree wheel and would explain it/why in a future video.

The DV video for any interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDmFf1Biz-g
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

BOOT wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:08 pm Think DV said in the vid, he made that wheel using a comp degree wheel and would explain it/why in a future video.

The DV video for any interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDmFf1Biz-g
Yeah, the fact that multiple searches with various keywords didn't uncover anything had me wondering.
Justa1time
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Justa1time »

Very interesting. I would like to know the source of this wheel also.
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

He must not be very good at math. The only benefit that I see is being able to read duration directly rather than adding and subtracting.

And of course, 5 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

I do like my digital degree wheel and the big old round one now just stays up on the wall.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

Bill Chase wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:19 pm Vizard recently did a video where he showed a 18-24" pro style degree wheel. It has normal outer row of numbers, but also had an inner ring with degree markings that could be indexed.

My question specifically is... Aside from taking some time doing math out of the equation when degreeing cams what purpose does it serve? I tried doing a Google search for one by CVR, Comp, etc. And came up empty.
I watched the linked video in one of the posts, I think what the deal is that when degreeing a camshaft you first have to find true top dead center. With a normal degree wheel you have to more the timing pointer until you have equal degrees on each side of TDC. To find true TDC. If you had a degree wheel with a movable or indexable degree ring, it would be much easier to find and mark true TDC. Looks like a good idea.
fabr
Expert
Expert

Post by fabr »

Moroso 62192
fabr
Expert
Expert

Post by fabr »

[/quote]

I watched the linked video in one of the posts, I think what the deal is that when degreeing a camshaft you first have to find true top dead center. With a normal degree wheel you have to more the timing pointer until you have equal degrees on each side of TDC. To find true TDC. If you had a degree wheel with a movable or indexable degree ring, it would be much easier to find and mark true TDC. Looks like a good idea.
[/quote]That's not what the second ring is for. It is to simplify/make direct reading of intake centerline without needing to do the math.

Instructions https://www.moroso.com/pub/media/instru ... 2_inst.pdf