Billet Block internal heater - worth it?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Z2TT

Billet Block internal heater - worth it?

Post by Z2TT »

Hi All.

I have a Billet 6 cylinder block based on my Nissan RB26. Being a billet block, no boost is advised until 60c/140f degree oil temp to avoid crank walk
It's a big HP street car and the goal is to try get the temp up quicker. I will have an oil thermostat to shut off the flow to the oil cooler.

I am considering a 12v threaded heater element which I will tap a fitting to slide into the sump. They exist but aren't too common. I was wondering if anybody had experimented with heating, what amperage you were pushing and if it can make a noticable difference in time to get upto temp simply to be able to get in the car and drive it quicker while I leave it idling to warm the oil up.

Cheers.
lefty o
Guru
Guru
Re: Billet Block internal heater - worth it?

Post by lefty o »

start the car, let it idle for 30 seconds, drive gently until up to temp.
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

Can you run a 120v stick-on heater pad on the oil tank or oil pan, like we did in nascar?
Racer71
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer71 »

We used a pad on oil tank and coolant preheater for our midget engines. The pad was 110v and helped get the oil to temp and we used C&R heater that had quicknconnects to preheat the coolant before startup, crazy tight engines.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

lefty o wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:39 amstart the car, let it idle for 30 seconds, drive gently until up to temp.
In my experience, driving gently will warm the coolant, but will take forever to warm the oil. It takes load to put heat into the oil.

Agree with the couple of recommendations above, use the AC powered stick-on heaters.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

i dont totally agree, especially in a turbo car, the oil heats quickly.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

lefty o wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:18 pm i dont totally agree, especially in a turbo car, the oil heats quickly.
Yep, have to admit I have zero experience with a billet aluminum block turbocharged Nissan. Edit my comments to apply only to iron block NA.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Post by miniv8 »

I'd guess it has dry sump being a billet block. Just run a heater element in the tank.
That will also extend oil life as you can boil some of the alky out of the oil, outside of the engine.
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Instead of reposting what I just did in the other type thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65269
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Komdotkom

Post by Komdotkom »

I'm not entirely sure that this will have enough cooling capacity once you start making real HP, but they certainly help to increase oil temperature quickly.
https://www.demon-tweeks.com/au/mocal-l ... ed-245396/
In my experience they lack the ability to provide adequate cooling under race conditions (circuit racing) but if you are just doing 1/4 mile stuff it should be ok.
Z2TT

Post by Z2TT »

The engine still runs a wet sump, runs a Barnes external belt driven oil pump. I'm limited to 12v heaters as I'd like something to run while the car is running to help it warm up quicker while I begin driving it
Z2TT

Post by Z2TT »

Hi all. Change of direction, now being built to run a dry sump. Yes considering heater element in the tank. Can only find max of 400 watt elements that run on 12v, so I can run it with the car on. Reason for 12v : I don't want to have to plug external cords into a power outlet, it's not a track car, it's simply so i can get my billet block upto temp quicker before driving (normally takes 5 minutes idling), wondering if a heater element will speed that up at all or barely.

Reason to get heat up = main tunnel grows so bearing clearances open upto what they should be at, billet block clearances are set tighter cold due to this expansion.

Cheers.
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

Billet block, and then looking for free advice from the internet to DIY an oiling system.
DON'T PANIC
fabr
Expert
Expert

Post by fabr »

turbo camino wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:14 pm Billet block, and then looking for free advice from the internet to DIY an oiling system.
So? What's the problem with that?
arlancam509

Post by arlancam509 »

fabr wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:21 pm
turbo camino wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:14 pm Billet block, and then looking for free advice from the internet to DIY an oiling system.
So? What's the problem with that?
no problem! it is just funny! :D

to the Op - too bad you have the restriction of 12v because i have run the A/C block heaters and they make a huge difference in warm up time.
° alt+0176 °