Deepening a spark plug

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ELS
Pro
Pro
Deepening a spark plug

Post by ELS »

When I install a regular long sized spark plug in my cylinder head, it is 2-3 threads bellow the surface of the combustion chamber, I could swap the crush washer for a copper hydraulic washer probably but it wont leave me any room for indexing the plugs.
Is there a way I can deepen the spark plug hole without going to a machine shop? it's an aluminum head.
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Deepening a spark plug

Post by HQM383 »

ELS wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:06 am When I install a regular long sized spark plug in my cylinder head, it is 2-3 threads bellow the surface of the combustion chamber, I could swap the crush washer for a copper hydraulic washer probably but it wont leave me any room for indexing the plugs.
Is there a way I can deepen the spark plug hole without going to a machine shop? it's an aluminum head.
Is it the head manufacturer recommended plug?
I’m a Street/Strip guy..... like to think outside the quadrilateral parallelogram.
ELS
Pro
Pro

Post by ELS »

HQM383 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:35 am
ELS wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:06 am When I install a regular long sized spark plug in my cylinder head, it is 2-3 threads bellow the surface of the combustion chamber, I could swap the crush washer for a copper hydraulic washer probably but it wont leave me any room for indexing the plugs.
what does that matter for? I said it was the long style plug, I've never seen a longer plug than those regular long plugs, and the recommended plug isn't made anymore and is even a bit shorter still.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Can you post up a picture of what's taking place?
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
ELS
Pro
Pro

Post by ELS »

mag2555 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:08 am Can you post up a picture of what's taking place?
torqued down, no indexing washers ofc.
spark plug.jpg

I don't want to grind out the combustion chamber because I'm already struggling to get descent CR as it is, though maybe it'd be possible to deepen the spark plug mounting surface.

oh and the spark plugs are angled to the same side on all the cylinders, meaning that on cylinders 1 and 3 they are angled towards the exhaust and have a good chance of having the spark inside the combustion chamber, but on cylinders 2 and 4 they are angled towards the intake but have the intake side obstructed
in the picture cylinder #3 is shown
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ELS
Pro
Pro

Post by ELS »

I'll perhaps try to weld and harden some screw drivers (because that's the highest carbon content steel I have around) into a cutter, then hollow out an old plug and install it from the combustion chamber as a guide.
hopefully the coolant jacket isn't closer to the threads deeper in the plug hole :D
rp930
Pro
Pro

Post by rp930 »

Maybe just me but I don’t see a lot of hp gain.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

ELS wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:55 am
what does that matter for? I said it was the long style plug, I've never seen a longer plug than those regular long plugs, and the recommended plug isn't made anymore and is even a bit shorter still.
Most plugs are .750" in length. Bosch makes a plug (suffix H0) that is .840". Or, many extended tip plugs might work even
with standard length.
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

put the plug in a lathe and machine it down
ELS
Pro
Pro

Post by ELS »

David Redszus wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:24 am
ELS wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:55 am

Most plugs are .750" in length. Bosch makes a plug (suffix H0) that is .840". Or, many extended tip plugs might work even
with standard length.
I'll look into them, but I'd prefer using the regular 3/4' size, since all my favorite plugs are in that :D

about the cutter thing I said I was gonna do, well it turned out successful, until it broke... didn't bother to reduce it's hardness and it bit me in the ass
spark plug cutter.png
spark plug guide.png
cut spark plug hole.png
aftermath.png
spark plug installed.png
made it from a gutted out plug for the guide, an 8mm rod from a screwdriver, a 3/16" file iirc for the cutter bit.
tried drilling trough the cutter, but couldn't even when I annealed it, it was too hard for my crappy 1.5mm drill.
it sunk the plug down maybe like .7mm,
although I used it on the 2nd cylinder instead of the 3rd which I compared it to... precision analysis! :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

There are some plugs that have a longer projected tip than what was considered normal. Check with NGK to see if available in your thread size.
ELS
Pro
Pro

Post by ELS »

Geoff2 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:44 pm There are some plugs that have a longer projected tip than what was considered normal. Check with NGK to see if available in your thread size.
well I specifically want to deepen the spark plug bore instead of using more uncommon plugs, but I think I have that figured out, just have to make a new cutter and I'll probably solder the cutter blade in the shaft so it doesnt move this time. or weld it but I dont have a lot of space for that
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Just note that if you go to a extended tip plug that you may want to start off one heat range cooler until you see what there color change over point looks like after a few long full throttle runs.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
ELS
Pro
Pro

Post by ELS »

well I made another cutter, this time using a 14mm steel bar and turning it down to 8mm at the end for the guide.
fit is terrible because the drill I used to 'lathe it' had the chuck slightly crooked, but I centered the blade as close as I could before soldering it so it's fine.

after 15 minutes of cutting I didn't even get the spark plug 180 degrees deepened (this time I used it on the #3 cylinder for a proper comparison).
I wanted to use a drill but I'll have to rig up some 'loose' connection between the cutter and drill, so the cutter doesnt get moved laterally by the drill.
cutter 2.jpg
spark plug installed 2.jpg
oh and btw if you're interested, the spark plug thread size is M14x1.25
ELS
Pro
Pro

Post by ELS »

update: using a drill, that cutter cuts like butter. too fast even, 1 second too much and it cuts a milimeter too deep.
and the soldered blade holds up fine, so no welding needed

photo of the finished cutter and guide
cutter finished.png