General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Short Pushrods and Tall RPMs in Real World Performance

Post by Tom68 »

Wolfo wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:07 pm
nicholastanguma wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:04 pm I'm again assuming SOHC is a typo, and you meant DOHC, since I don't see how finger followers can be utilized with a single overhead cam design. As far as I know, only double overhead cams can act directly on valve springs without the use of rocker arms.

However, if I am wrong, please correct me, as I would very much like to know how finger follower design could successfully replace the typical rocker arm design typically associated with SOHC engines.
SOHC finger follower designs are quite common, but more in the motorcycle world.
See for example a KTM 450 SXF cylinder head. Or several Honda designs (marketing name "UNICAM") for 450ccm engines.
There are a lot of engines like this, but these are recent examples.
Some theory could be found in Mahle publications and books from Ludwig Apfelbeck.

Too expensive for automotive engines, so only common in motorcycle engine design.
Automotive uses the more expensive dohc with or without rockers, they do it for vvt.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
juuhanaa
HotPass
HotPass

Post by juuhanaa »

Tom68 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:14 pm Automotive uses the more expensive dohc with or without rockers, they do it for vvt.
Aand valve speed :wink:
IMG_20210518_174655.jpg

-juhana
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A balanced person dares to stagger, and modify ports bigger
nicholastanguma
HotPass
HotPass

Post by nicholastanguma »

nicholastanguma wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:04 pm I'm again assuming SOHC is a typo, and you meant DOHC, since I don't see how finger followers can be utilized with a single overhead cam design. As far as I know, only double overhead cams can act directly on valve springs without the use of rocker arms.

However, if I am wrong, please correct me, as I would very much like to know how finger follower design could successfully replace the typical rocker arm design typically associated with SOHC engines.
SOHC finger follower designs are quite common, but more in the motorcycle world.
See for example a KTM 450 SXF cylinder head. Or several Honda designs (marketing name "UNICAM") for 450ccm engines.
There are a lot of engines like this, but these are recent examples.
Some theory could be found in Mahle publications and books from Ludwig Apfelbeck.

Too expensive for automotive engines, so only common in motorcycle engine design.

Thank you for the correction and examples.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

juuhanaa wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:38 pm
Tom68 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:14 pm Automotive uses the more expensive dohc with or without rockers, they do it for vvt.

IMG_20210518_174655.jpg

-juhana
Lobes look bigger than their clearance area. :D
nicholastanguma
HotPass
HotPass

Post by nicholastanguma »

Okay, I just looked at some diagrams of these SOHC mills, and indeed they do use finger followers as you state. Now I understand how finger followers can be used to replace rocker arms in single overhead cam architecture, a picture is worth a thousand words. Danke, ich weiß deine Hilfe zu schätzen!
juuhanaa
HotPass
HotPass

Post by juuhanaa »

Tom68 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:36 am
juuhanaa wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:38 pm

IMG_20210518_174655.jpg

-juhana
Lobes look bigger than their clearance area. :D
You make it sound radical :D But yes, the lobes makes a positive affect. That was a Renault F4R valvetrain, hydraulic finger rocker arm thing. Catcams 5502423 with a lift to valve diameter ratio of .336. 8000rpm in a endurance hi performance is like pushing luck. I would like to push the l/d ratio to max using this kind of valve train. A basic engine like this has a mean piston speed of 5500ft/min @ 9000rpm.

-juhana
A balanced person dares to stagger, and modify ports bigger
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

nicholastanguma wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:46 am

Okay, I just looked at some diagrams of these SOHC mills, and indeed they do use finger followers as you state. Now I understand how finger followers can be used to replace rocker arms in single overhead cam architecture, a picture is worth a thousand words. Danke, ich weiß deine Hilfe zu schätzen!
and on DOHC. Patent applied for by Louis Chevrolet in 1917.
Louis.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

and this desmodromic sohc one.

https://www.chevroletbrothers.com/_file ... bb5ccc.pdf
L C.jpg
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

The potential depends on the base circle of the cam and the lobe designs that can work with the follower geometry.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars