SBC Mahle Narrow Rod Bearing Issue

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

fabr
Expert
Expert
SBC Mahle Narrow Rod Bearing Issue

Post by fabr »

Mahle CB-663HN is a narrowed bearing for large fillet cranks. Crank is a Callies. Some of the rods miss kissing the crank journal cheek by .020 or so. The bearing is just too wide still to miss the fillet. Mahle ditched the chamfer in lieu of the narrowed. Is there an accepted/recommended method of narrowing them up .020 or so? In the past I had a fixture to hold a pair on the lathe and just chamfered a standard bearing but after they became available from Clevite already chamfered I have lost track of it. Can I just take a piece of wet/dry paper and hit the edge creating a small chamfer without causing any issue? I think it would be OK . Anyone have a better idea?
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: SBC Mahle Narrow Rod Bearing Issue

Post by Walter R. Malik »

fabr wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:51 pm Mahle CB-663HN is a narrowed bearing for large fillet cranks. Crank is a Callies. Some of the rods miss kissing the crank journal cheek by .020 or so. The bearing is just too wide still to miss the fillet. Mahle ditched the chamfer in lieu of the narrowed. Is there an accepted/recommended method of narrowing them up .020 or so? In the past I had a fixture to hold a pair on the lathe and just chamfered a standard bearing but after they became available from Clevite already chamfered I have lost track of it. Can I just take a piece of wet/dry paper and hit the edge creating a small chamfer without causing any issue? I think it would be OK . Anyone have a better idea?
Use a different bearing of even a narrower width.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
fabr
Expert
Expert

Post by fabr »

SFAIK there are none.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Have you tried KING bearings??
They have a better selection then clevite for bearing size options and fit.
I have been using their tri-metal XP series bearings in most builds for the last 5-6 years and no issues to date.
They have decent stock nation wide.

But that said with all the manufacturing issues in play now with short staffing and other issues it still comes down to check everything and you have to either send them back then wait for replacements or just solve the problem.
Its an area that gets over looked more often then you would think in this area. Bottom line is if ya don't check shit and you just install stuff ( not pointing a finger at you :D ) problems will happen. Thats the difference between a builder and an assembler.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
fabr
Expert
Expert

Post by fabr »

ProPower engines wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:39 am Have you tried KING bearings??
They have a better selection then clevite for bearing size options and fit.
I have been using their tri-metal XP series bearings in most builds for the last 5-6 years and no issues to date.
They have decent stock nation wide.

But that said with all the manufacturing issues in play now with short staffing and other issues it still comes down to check everything and you have to either send them back then wait for replacements or just solve the problem.
Its an area that gets over looked more often then you would think in this area. Bottom line is if ya don't check shit and you just install stuff ( not pointing a finger at you :D ) problems will happen. Thats the difference between a builder and an assembler.
This is so true. I'll look at the Kings but will most likely just solve the issue. I was just looking to see if there were any remedies I had not thought of. I'll likely just narrow the bearing tang .020 or so to reposition the bearing shell in the rod enough to gain the needed clearance. Not every pair of shells have the issue.Thanks for the replies guys.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

What's wrong with a bearing "knife" so you can manually take away the soft material? , it's not that critical unless stuff is too close. I sort of remember Childs and Albert had a jig so you can spin your own bearings in the lathe. Ray's gone but Akerly and Childs might still sell those jigs if your heart desires.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
fabr
Expert
Expert

Post by fabr »

In-Tech wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:16 am What's wrong with a bearing "knife" so you can manually take away the soft material? , it's not that critical unless stuff is too close. I sort of remember Childs and Albert had a jig so you can spin your own bearings in the lathe. Ray's gone but Akerly and Childs might still sell those jigs if your heart desires.
I have considered it but think narrowing the tang is perhaps a better way to go. Either would work though. I haven't dug into whether it is the bearing or the rod at issue but it's a small issue that can be fixed without much effort. Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

You're good, it's nice at times to bounce off others :)
-Carl
fabr
Expert
Expert

Post by fabr »

In-Tech wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:54 am You're good, it's nice at times to bounce off others :)
I'm not afraid of ,at times,appearing to be an idiot. :lol: I never know what insights I might be blessed with by being unafraid to ask "dumb" questions.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

I am not sure of the real name, a machinists(sp?) 3 blade scraper is what i use all the time. It's truly a debur tool but it works well on soft bearings if you need to do something. :)
-Carl
fabr
Expert
Expert

Post by fabr »

Us old guys called it a bearing scraper.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead ... EFQ&adurl=
novafornow
Pro
Pro

Post by novafornow »

Very handy tool. Probably one of the tools that I use the most.
C.A.R.E.

Post by C.A.R.E. »

Are You installing the bearings correctly ? They are marked lower and upper. If installed wrong the bearing is offset wrong. You remarked that some have enough clearance and some don’t. Maybe some are in wrong.
You are only limited by your machinery and your imagination!
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

fabr wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:17 pm SFAIK there are none.
Then you haven't really looked ...
Off the top of my head I can tell you that a CB-1227 is for the same journal size but, even narrower.

For what it is worth to you ... you can file the tang right off; an engine builder wouldn't need it.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

C.A.R.E. wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:20 pm Are You installing the bearings correctly ? They are marked lower and upper. If installed wrong the bearing is offset wrong. You remarked that some have enough clearance and some don’t. Maybe some are in wrong.
YES ...for that number, the upper & lower bearing shells are different.