Crankshaft Balancing: Question with Pictures

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Crankshaft Balancing: Question with Pictures

Post by skinny z »

To the crank balancers among you, my machinist sent me a couple of his computer screenshots of the before and after results and I'd like you all to tell me what I'm looking at.
The backstory is a GM forged crank that was previously balanced (in another lifetime) with heavy Elgin rods and Speed Pro hypereutectic pistons. Gen 1 SBC 70's vintage. It looks to have had some heavy metal added for that first go around.
Fast forward to today and the pistons are now Wiseco Pro Tru Street forgings and the rods are Eagle SIR 5.7" I-beams.
My guy reports that the rods are 140 grams lighter than the Elgins. Pretty sure the pistons are somewhat lighter as well but don't quote me on that.
What do you see in the images posted below?

IMG_20220623_093354.jpg

IMG_20220623_141209.jpg

Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin
MotionMachine
Guru
Guru

Re: Crankshaft Balancing: Question with Pictures

Post by MotionMachine »

The only numbers you need to know are the 2 in the top corners. Crank started 162 grams heavy front and rear, 2nd pic are the numbers he was able to get it to, 1.29 and .76, good job..
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

I see now.
I appreciate that. Thanks.
Overall it's looking like this iteration will be step up from what I've been racing with for the last couple of decades.

The crank had a LOT of material removed. Looks like the metal added for the previous balance (twenty plus years ago) remained as it's offset from holes drilled for lightening.

Thanks again for the observation.
Kevin
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

This was the end result.

IMG_20220623_141155.jpg
IMG_20220623_141151.jpg

That's a lot of material. Some holes were present already. The welded in slug of heavy is still there as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

Kevin
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

Just curious.... are you sure that is a steel crank ? The one small part of a rod throw I can see sure looks like a narrow parting line which would be cast. Might be the camera angle.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

100% forging.
Verified by three different shops.
GM 5140 if my intel is correct.
I appreciate the observation just the same.

To tell you the truth, if I knew I'd be in for new rods in addition to the balance job (this was originally just to be a 40 over and crank polish) I'd have gone for a 383 rather than the 357. That would have been an entirely new rotating assembly rather than 2/3 of one. I'm told it took 6 tons to push one of the piston pins out and the taper on the small end meant more machine work to make it right. Then there was resizing needed as well. Bolts too.

But, it is what it is.
My heads a better suited for the smaller cubes anyway.
Kevin