SBC lifter pushrod oiling

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rebelrouser
Guru
Guru
SBC lifter pushrod oiling

Post by rebelrouser »

I had an engine that oiled the rockers good during the priming with a drill. Ran well on the dyno, but a few weeks later customer hears a squeaking noise. Two rockers were burnt black. Pulled intake off and primed it again with a drill and the two brunt rocker lifters did not oil at all. And a couple others barely oiled. Engine clean as a pin on the inside. Pulled the lifters apart and no junk in them. But when they drilled the hole in the pushrod cup, they did not debur the hole on the inside of the lifter body. The flat disc marked as metering valve had dimples in it from the burs on the cup. I filed off the burrs turned the disc upside down and now all the lifters oil like they are supposed to. Two questions can anybody explain exactly how the disc meters the oil flow to the pushrods, and if a person drilled a small hole to one side on the disc will it increase flow to the pushrods? I drilled one as an experiment and it seems to improve the flow, at least priming with a drill.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Re: SBC lifter pushrod oiling

Post by PRH »

I’ve seen a few different designs of the metering disc, depending on the brand of lifters.

They appear to funcition as a means to block direct access of the oil in the lifter to the pushrod seat.

The oil has to make it through the labyrinth the metering disc creates before reaching the hole in the pushrod seat.

Just another problem area to look for...... that shouldn’t exist.
What brand of lifters were they, and what type?
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

Just stock vortec replacements from local parts store, I really don't remember the brand, maybe engine tech.
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

rebelrouser wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:40 am Just stock vortec replacements from local parts store, I really don't remember the brand, maybe engine tech.
Probably some of the recent flood of Chinese parts. Look around and you can get American made hrl from people like Steve Morris, bought in bulk and sold at decent price. https://www.stevemorrisengines.com/engi ... nce-1.html Not a plug for him, just an example of where to get a confirmed OEM part at less than dealer pricing.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

PRH wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:24 pm I’ve seen a few different designs of the metering disc, depending on the brand of lifters.

They appear to funcition as a means to block direct access of the oil in the lifter to the pushrod seat.

The oil has to make it through the labyrinth the metering disc creates before reaching the hole in the pushrod seat.

Just another problem area to look for...... that shouldn’t exist.
What brand of lifters were they, and what type?
The Hylift Johnson Hydraulic lifters use a "piddle valve" with 4 holes through it, around the circumference. The middle pushes against the opposite side on the underside of the pushrod seat . That center is extended about .020" into the lifter body and it has the metering slot in it.
If you have lifters with that "Labyrinth disk" it is not Hylift Johnson.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

Really recent flood manufacturing of things from overseas sources has been going on since after WW2 if that what you mean by recent.And most lifters bodies have been manufactured overseas for quite a long time some aftermarket companies add the internals.Look it up and you will find out.