moroso steel motor mounts

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

chevy art
Pro
Pro
moroso steel motor mounts

Post by chevy art »

did anyone ever use moroso steel motor mounts and have tremendous vibrations in the engines. 1st motor was a well built and balanced 355 and headers always loosened up all the time. second engine was an aluminum rodded 377 with knife edged crank. bores became irregular and the oil pump pickup broke off even though the pickup had a brace and he headers always wanted to fall off because they became too loose. last engine now in car always loosens bolts on motor , including the oil pan bolts. i dont think all this mess with 3 different engines is a coincidence, the only common thing amongst these 3 different engines is the use of the moroso steel mounts.. does anyone make a good cushioned mount that will support 600 HP? thanks Art in NY
ChopperScott
HotPass
HotPass

Re: moroso steel motor mounts

Post by ChopperScott »

Many track cars, straight and oval, run solid mounts or motor plates.

Solid mounts could be problematic under higher powered conditions, causing stress at the cylinder walls and deck.

I’ve been running Moroso solid mounts on my car for over a decade, with different combinations, with no problems.

I do run a poly trans mount. This reduces the stress on the trans case. Running a solid trans mount with solid engine mounts with likely crack the trans case.
'73 Camaro Z/28 NETO/N
434 SBC 11:1, 1.294, 6.178 @ 108.87, 9.81 @ 134.93 (3060#, Naturally Aspirated, Sunoco Ultra 94)
Chopper Air Port 917-589-1278
DK77TA

Post by DK77TA »

Summit sell their house brand poly engine mounts.
I put them on and was really impressed, the engine moves very little with poly transmission mount as well.
I used to use an engine strap with the old rubber mounts and no longer feel the need to use it and took it off with the new poly mounts.
This is in a 2nd gen F-body running around 600HP.
rp930
Pro
Pro

Post by rp930 »

Just use a solid on the left side and poly on the right side or even a stock one on the right side.
54chevkiwi
Pro
Pro

Post by 54chevkiwi »

This style is my favourite, i think theyre solid enough as well as soft enough
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

chevy art wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:09 am did anyone ever use moroso steel motor mounts and have tremendous vibrations in the engines. 1st motor was a well built and balanced 355 and headers always loosened up all the time. second engine was an aluminum rodded 377 with knife edged crank. bores became irregular and the oil pump pickup broke off even though the pickup had a brace and he headers always wanted to fall off because they became too loose. last engine now in car always loosens bolts on motor , including the oil pan bolts. i dont think all this mess with 3 different engines is a coincidence, the only common thing amongst these 3 different engines is the use of the moroso steel mounts.. does anyone make a good cushioned mount that will support 600 HP? thanks Art in NY
Funny you should bring this up, I have 2 cars with Solid Moroso engine mounts and have ad little to no problems with vibrations in my car, but my friend who has a fallen buddies Nova has then and that car with the BBC would shake your teeth out. He just put in factory mounts this past week and said the car is much improved over the Moroso mounts. Does the car have a mid-plate? bet that can cause more problems for sure.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

Drive line angles can cause problems as well.
I lowered my engine 1" to try to get crank centreline better towards pinion angle as I had to shim my pinion positive(up) .
Was at 8* now down to 3* which is better.most OEM type cars have terrible driveline angle.
20200814_154840.jpg
20200814_140715.jpg
20200812_143721.jpg
20200812_143925.jpg
20200812_160734.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

54chevkiwi wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:42 am This style is my favourite, i think theyre solid enough as well as soft enough
which supplier(s) offers the mount in picture?
54chevkiwi
Pro
Pro

Post by 54chevkiwi »

rebelyell wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:34 pm
54chevkiwi wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:42 am This style is my favourite, i think theyre solid enough as well as soft enough
Ruffstuff specialties sell them ones, i dunno wht i cut the screenshot but here it is unedited..
I made my own though, i just found the bushings on summit
A5423536-1303-4DC5-A23E-8CA8E9DA993B.png
Ishiftem

Post by Ishiftem »

I don’t like solid side mounts. They effectively make the sides of the block a stressed part of the chassis. This has been shown to cause some main bearing issues with n some stock block big block chevys. I run urethane side mounts for some cushion and a mid plate.
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

54chevkiwi wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:38 pm
rebelyell wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:34 pm
Ruffstuff specialties sell them ones, i dunno wht i cut the screenshot but here it is unedited..
I made my own though, i just found the bushings on summit
A5423536-1303-4DC5-A23E-8CA8E9DA993B.png
Thank you.
chevy art
Pro
Pro

Post by chevy art »

hey steve cowan pinion angle is definitely not the problem' years ago John Calvert explained drive line angle to me very well. too many guys out there quoting angles and degrees but nothing is in relation to anything or what the moving parts of the whole picture were. im not saying you are one of those persons. wrong driveline angle does cause alot of problems, but my car does not fit into that category. go on you tube to see all the knuckleheads telling how to get correct pinion angle. thanks Art in NY
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

chevy art wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:31 am hey steve cowan pinion angle is definitely not the problem' years ago John Calvert explained drive line angle to me very well. too many guys out there quoting angles and degrees but nothing is in relation to anything or what the moving parts of the whole picture were. im not saying you are one of those persons. wrong driveline angle does cause alot of problems, but my car does not fit into that category. go on you tube to see all the knuckleheads telling how to get correct pinion angle. thanks Art in NY
Art, can ya share your knowledge on driveline angle?
Pro question poster.