Holley with excessively lean light throttle cruise

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Re: Holley with excessively lean light throttle cruise

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

When you drill the air bleed 1/16" be sure to BEVEL that fresh drill hole a bit front and rear to just smooth off the sharp drilled edge on the drilled hole.
Hone it by hand a bit with a slightly bigger drill bit.
This ensures that your DIY home drilled .062" air bleed will flow fuel the same as a store bought holley air bleed does.
It needs that slight entry exit bevel.
Not too hard to do.
Compare to one of your holley Air bleeds f&r for reference.
Ken_Parkman
Expert
Expert

Post by Ken_Parkman »

An update:
This has been a tremendous education. The secondary idle speed screw is a massive influence. Close it down and now the carb works quite well, cruise is now 14.5-15 on the AFR, no more surge and bucking. Also jetted down 4 numbers all around. Full power may be a bit lean and I may go back up a bit - this is worth a trip to the track or chassis dyno.

The Rambler is a little blue 69 2 door post, dog dish hubcaps. Go to St Thomas every once and a while, but not in the last few years.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Ken_Parkman wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:00 pm An update:
This has been a tremendous education. The secondary idle speed screw is a massive influence. Close it down and now the carb works quite well, cruise is now 14.5-15 on the AFR, no more surge and bucking. Also jetted down 4 numbers all around. Full power may be a bit lean and I may go back up a bit - this is worth a trip to the track or chassis dyno.

The Rambler is a little blue 69 2 door post, dog dish hubcaps. Go to St Thomas every once and a while, but not in the last few years.
YES ...if the secondary plate opening is not correct for the application, the carb will present all kinds of unwanted issues.

Different applications will want the secondary idle opening to be "just cracked" merely so they don't stick to an opening "barely below the slot"; which is usually quite a difference.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Roadknee

Post by Roadknee »

rgalajda wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:54 pm . " The 076 idle air bleeds should be fine."

Based on what ? We don't even know the carb list number or what the original size IAB was. Are they screw in bleeds or pressed in? Most of these older carbs were pressed in bleeds. Have you seen a lot of Holley carbs with .076" IAB's ?
More info is what is needed.
My recommendation was based on experience including plenty of Holley’s with 076-078 primary IABs that work great. We can now add this one to the list.
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

Great result. How much did you close it down, or how open in relation to secondary transfer slots? Are transfer slots secondary same dimensions or shorter than primary?
I’m a Street/Strip guy..... like to think outside the quadrilateral parallelogram.
Ken_Parkman
Expert
Expert

Post by Ken_Parkman »

Secondaries completely closed. Nowhere close to the transfer slot. Tried to open them back up a bit and immediately back into lean cruise.
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

Ken_Parkman wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:23 pm Secondaries completely closed. Nowhere close to the transfer slot. Tried to open them back up a bit and immediately back into lean cruise.
Hints at little to no fuel from secondary idle/transfer. See how it responds opening the secondaries. But hey, if it’s working now for what you’re doing then all good.

To clarify all that’s covered so far is it an 80513 1000cfm?
I’m a Street/Strip guy..... like to think outside the quadrilateral parallelogram.
rgalajda
Pro
Pro

Post by rgalajda »

Roadknee wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:01 pm
rgalajda wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:54 pm . " The 076 idle air bleeds should be fine."

Based on what ? We don't even know the carb list number or what the original size IAB was. Are they screw in bleeds or pressed in? Most of these older carbs were pressed in bleeds. Have you seen a lot of Holley carbs with .076" IAB's ?
More info is what is needed.
My recommendation was based on experience including plenty of Holley’s with 076-078 primary IABs that work great. We can now add this one to the list.
I apologize for being a little abrupt in my post. At least we agreed on the closing of the secondary.
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

Instead of jetting up for the richer full power ratio you need---you can enlarge your power valve channel holes. This way it will maintain the leaner cruise ratio.
Pro question poster.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

This post is another great example of the fact that the T slot position is the foundation for setting up the idle & low speed cruise.