chrome rings

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

bentvalves
Expert
Expert
chrome rings

Post by bentvalves »

what color is a true chrome ring? I was always under the impression they would look like a shiny chrome bumper, but apparently this is not the case I am being told. A steel, gas nitrided upper ring will have this shiny "chrome" appearance apparently?

and a true chrome ring (designed to have the ability to ingest dirt/sand) will have a reddish brown appearance?

can any speedtalkers shed some light on this subject for me?
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: chrome rings

Post by Walter R. Malik »

bentvalves wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:40 pm what color is a true chrome ring? I was always under the impression they would look like a shiny chrome bumper, but apparently this is not the case I am being told. A steel, gas nitrided upper ring will have this shiny "chrome" appearance apparently?

and a true chrome ring (designed to have the ability to ingest dirt/sand) will have a reddish brown appearance?

can any speedtalkers shed some light on this subject for me?
The O.E.M. chrome thick rings I have seen in the past were dull silver.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

the chromed part is chrome in color. Hard chrome may have grainy texture. I'm sure you have seen it before, on hydraulic shock rods and so forth.
Only the part that contacts the cylinder is plated, I suspect the "red" you are seeing is on the other sides of the ring.
fabr
Expert
Expert

Post by fabr »

The grainy texture I was told many years ago was to facilitate the chrome being able to seat into the bore. I have no idea if that is correct .
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

"Industrial" chrome plating, as found on piston rings and crankshaft journals, is a dull silver color. It is not shiny chrome like the bumper on your '57 Chevy.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist