Headers for 69 Chevelle SS w/Vortecpro 396 BBC

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Malibu Man
Headers for 69 Chevelle SS w/Vortecpro 396 BBC

Post by Malibu Man »

Need some input for headers adequate for above car and engine combo. Mostly street use but still want everything available from engine. May be some occasional track time.
Was looking at Sandersons with 1.875" tubes but they have no collector to speak of. The other choice is the Hedman elite with 1.75" tubes with a 3" collector. I'm not sure what effect the collector has on the function of the tubes entering it or the lack of a collector has on a set of tubes. Want to make the right choice the first time.
If more info is needed let me know.
Thanks.
1980RS
Guru
Guru
Re: Headers for 69 Chevelle SS w/Vortecpro 396 BBC

Post by 1980RS »

Malibu Man wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:15 pm Need some input for headers adequate for above car and engine combo. Mostly street use but still want everything available from engine. May be some occasional track time.
Was looking at Sandersons with 1.875" tubes but they have no collector to speak of. The other choice is the Hedman elite with 1.75" tubes with a 3" collector. I'm not sure what effect the collector has on the function of the tubes entering it or the lack of a collector has on a set of tubes. Want to make the right choice the first time.
Thanks.
I bought a nice set of 1 7/8" tube Patriot headers that were off a Chevelle and they do fit my Camaro. The headers even though they are not the super equal length ones fit prefect for me. The Patriot's are HD for sure with thick tubes and thicker flanges. I got lucky and was going to give the guy $100 but because he said he put a tiny dent in one tube he let me have them for $50. I sure jumped on that one quick. I really hate the way my Hooker S/C's fit hanging down so low and they didn't perform all that well for being a $700 header.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

Looks like a job for PipeMax.
Kevin
54chevkiwi
Pro
Pro

Post by 54chevkiwi »

Im just spit balling here but why not ask vortecpro what he recommends since its one of his engines..? And being he has one of those chevelles also, he might be able to tell you exactly what fits..?
malibuguy79

Post by malibuguy79 »

1980RS wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:39 pm
Malibu Man wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:15 pm Need some input for headers adequate for above car and engine combo. Mostly street use but still want everything available from engine. May be some occasional track time.
Thanks.
I bought a nice set of 1 7/8" tube Patriot headers that were off a Chevelle and they do fit my Camaro. The headers even though they are not the super equal length ones fit prefect for me. The Patriot's are HD for sure with thick tubes and thicker flanges. I got lucky and was going to give the guy $100 but because he said he put a tiny dent in one tube he let me have them for $50. I sure jumped on that one quick. I really hate the way my Hooker S/C's fit hanging down so low and they didn't perform all that well for being a $700 header.
I just want to note...check the welds on future Patriot purchases. I have few close buddies that bought their coated headers only to have to have me grind it off and fix some (rather blantent) holes in the welds. One was at the head flange. Another at the collector.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

malibuguy79 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:33 am
1980RS wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:39 pm
Thanks.
I just want to note...check the welds on future Patriot purchases. I have few close buddies that bought their coated headers only to have to have me grind it off and fix some (rather blantent) holes in the welds. One was at the head flange. Another at the collector.
I have has a lot of headers with flaws and holes in them, you'd think by now someone would learn how to weld good.
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

I would contact Mark at Vortec pro and ask him.
rgalajda
Pro
Pro

Post by rgalajda »

I have the 1 7/8" Patriot headers on my BBC monte carlo. This is same header for a 1969 Chevelle. Spark plug access is very good and that was important to me. A friend of mine had Hooker headers on his 1969 BBC El Camino and pulling the spark plugs was a nightmare. The only complaint I would have is that the passenger side header hangs slightly lower and catches sometimes. My Monte Carlo is slightly lowered.
I have read that the Headman header does not hang lower on the passenger side but I do not know what spark plug access is like.
ClassicComp
Expert
Expert

Post by ClassicComp »

Unless your shooting for 600hp is used 1.750 tubes with a 3” collector.
Summit racing sells a set that’s fits well so I am told.
results speak for themselves