Speaking of welding cast iron

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Super_Stock

Re: Speaking of welding cast iron

Post by Super_Stock »

Just an example of what you can do, if your willing to do it.
65-fastford

Post by 65-fastford »

Or, nobody told them it couldn' be done!
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

Thanks for posting
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:Molasses sounds too expensive, maybe some mixture of oil and tar?
Linseed oil used to be (is?) commonly used, not sure of price, hence cost effectiveness, these days

With the 'added value' of machining, hence sale of a finished product, maybe the margin is there for most things
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

Super_Stock wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:15 am Just an example of what you can do, if your willing to do it.
Those videos are of the successes, imagine what the fails were like.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

BCjohnny wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:11 pm
SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:Molasses sounds too expensive, maybe some mixture of oil and tar?
Linseed oil used to be (is?) commonly used, not sure of price, hence cost effectiveness, these days

With the 'added value' of machining, hence sale of a finished product, maybe the margin is there for most things
Linseed oil sounds too expensive, I'm thinking used motor oil and ashes.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan Timberlake »

The heavy duty bench grinder stand @15:22 is kind of fun.

I wonder how secure the valve guides, other valve seats, mini combustion chambers and freeze plugs and pipe plugs are after being baked.

The way the replacement seats machined, do they look like they are made of a decent material ?
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Probably just cast iron cut from a tube or solid round on a lathe.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
Tartilla

Post by Tartilla »

Chris_Hamilton wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:50 pm After getting a 5mm long sliver of steel (wearing safety glasses) from grinding, fully embedded in my eye, and going through 3 weeks of eye scrapings to remove the rust rings that had formed, and tremendous pain I now only will use a full face shield. The thing about the piece of steel that got in my eye, I had no clue other than feeling like a piece of grit had gotten in my eye. Blinked a few times and it was gone. Only after a couple of days and waking up in agony did I notice the black spot in the white of my eye.
A friend had just taken off his eye protection...after working on some Mercedes wheel bearings. His brother hit the race with a hammer and pin. A micro sliver chipped off the race, and flew 'across the shop' to inbed into the center of his eye. Destroyed his cornea...was just lucky it struck om the pupil area. Otherwise it would have messed up the eye.

He had another cornea grown, bi-focal, but it's not optimal.
Tartilla

Post by Tartilla »

gn69z28 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:27 pm My guess on what was in the barrel he dipped it in to clean it in was probably muriatic acid. That's what it looked like since the rust was gone and the head came out with a little bit of a copper color.
He was wearing some heavy duty gloves. Must have been something aggressive. Vinegar mixture...likely would not have used them.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Tartilla wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:29 pm
Chris_Hamilton wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:50 pm After getting a 5mm long sliver of steel (wearing safety glasses) from grinding, fully embedded in my eye, and going through 3 weeks of eye scrapings to remove the rust rings that had formed, and tremendous pain I now only will use a full face shield. The thing about the piece of steel that got in my eye, I had no clue other than feeling like a piece of grit had gotten in my eye. Blinked a few times and it was gone. Only after a couple of days and waking up in agony did I notice the black spot in the white of my eye.
A friend had just taken off his eye protection...after working on some Mercedes wheel bearings. His brother hit the race with a hammer and pin. A micro sliver chipped off the race, and flew 'across the shop' to inbed into the center of his eye. Destroyed his cornea...was just lucky it struck om the pupil area. Otherwise it would have messed up the eye.

He had another cornea grown, bi-focal, but it's not optimal.
A mate was trying to unlock the tapered lock washer on a Benz truck wheel with a hammer and punch, lost an eye.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
Bigchief632
Pro
Pro

Post by Bigchief632 »

I love those videos. Especially the ones that they do more of the head rebuilding. As hacky as it seems to be, they actually do a decent job, and the heads would absolutely function. The ones I have seen, they replace all the guides, replace all the seats, re cut the seats on a makeshift set up on a mill with no fixturing, one guy just holds the head still, but they rough everything in with single angle blades for each angle, measure to make sure depths are correct, then another guy trues up the seats with a stone. I find it quite entertaining to watch how some of these 3rd world shit holes get stuff done. Another guy I like watching, not related to engines, but he cooks. Wilderness Cooking, or Outdoor cooking or something. He cooks stuff obviously outside, from some place that's way behind the times, his trade mark, is when he takes a bite, he always says "super" and gives a thumbs up. He is probably making more money than he ever dreamed of off youtube. Every video gets at least a million views.
Maximum power using simple logic and common sense
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

I remember in our own country where true machinist and shops in the sixties and up to eighties use to do work like this so I can only assume that our country was a sh.. hole back then.And I would be willing to bet you in some states and town you can still find guys with skills like this and shops today.But some of you will never know because you just go and drop your damaged part with some shop and they farm it off to one of those shops.
Tartilla

Post by Tartilla »

The theme here seems to be, eye protection works. But Mr. Murphy us always lurking.

Eye pro in the Army is a thing now, for about 20 years. The issue is when I sweat a lot, it fogs up the lense....and I cannot see through the NVGs.

Rules need to have clear intent, and train competent people to follow them, and moat importantly, when to break them when the rule's intent is not the looming outcome.
Chris_Hamilton
Pro
Pro

Post by Chris_Hamilton »

Tartilla wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:03 pm The theme here seems to be, eye protection works. But Mr. Murphy us always lurking.

Eye pro in the Army is a thing now, for about 20 years. The issue is when I sweat a lot, it fogs up the lense....and I cannot see through the NVGs.

Rules need to have clear intent, and train competent people to follow them, and moat importantly, when to break them when the rule's intent is not the looming outcome.
More than just eye protection, the right kind of eye protection. When I got that piece of steel in my eye I had wrap around safety glasses on. It went underneath the glasses. A full face shield should be considered mandatory for any grinding operations.
High quality metal, body and paint work
http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.php?t ... inia.9030/