Post by Dave Koehler »

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
lefty o
Guru
Guru
Re: Ever seen 8 rods disintegrate at once?

Post by lefty o »

i watched that earlier. doubtless the rod make got some bad material, or badly blew the heat treat.
Super_Stock

Post by Super_Stock »

He should keep the Mo and lose the Goatee...
fordified
Pro
Pro

Post by fordified »

A little duct tape and JB Weld and he'll be back in business. :D
fabr
Expert
Expert

Post by fabr »

Absolutely amazing to say the least.
billet
Pro
Pro

Post by billet »

While he never said the rod manufacturer a few video's back when he was reassembling the motor you could read the engraving on the rods so I looked them up because I never heard of them before. Their website said a proprietary material, so I'm assuming it a material that went past it's ultimate strength in this application or indeed had bad batch of material or heat treat issue. it's hard to say, if you don't know if those rods have been successfully used before at that power level, RPM, Etc (basically proven to be sufficient for that application)
rp930
Pro
Pro

Post by rp930 »

Last place I would use an unknown component.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

I am betting that Mr. Morris will Not use that brand again, maybe they were Free ?? If they were, free was not good this time . Mark H.
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

billet wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:45 pm While he never said the rod manufacturer a few video's back when he was reassembling the motor you could read the engraving on the rods so I looked them up because I never heard of them before. Their website said a proprietary material, so I'm assuming it a material that went past it's ultimate strength in this application or indeed had bad batch of material or heat treat issue. it's hard to say, if you don't know if those rods have been successfully used before at that power level, RPM, Etc (basically proven to be sufficient for that application)
I watched that I didn’t see the brand. One thing. I do know is I’ve only seen that style of cap/rod interface once and that was a company named Groden Rods. I used a bunch of sets of those but the most power I ever put through them was right at 2k. I like that pin design far better than the serrated cap.

I’m sure that was a materiel failure.

If you don’t try something new, you’ll always be follows the leader.
norm

Post by norm »

Hypereutectic rods?
Tom Walker
Pro
Pro

Post by Tom Walker »

That would sufficiently define “Spontaneous and complete disassembly “
billet
Pro
Pro

Post by billet »

ClassAct wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:38 pm
I watched that I didn’t see the brand. One thing. I do know is I’ve only seen that style of cap/rod interface once and that was a company named Groden Rods. I used a bunch of sets of those but the most power I ever put through them was right at 2k. I like that pin design far better than the serrated cap.

I’m sure that was a materiel failure.

If you don’t try something new, you’ll always be follows the leader.
https://www.ffwdracingrods.com/

From website:

So, you want REAL-WORLD facts? We can share a few of our customer’s past experiences while using our VADER racing rods on both street and track:

200+ passes for three seasons in a 7 second Outlaw car exceeding 250 horse per bore
Over 400 highly abusive passes spinning them at over 10 grand through the traps in a consistent 7-second bracket car
Exceeding 9 years of hard use in a 600 horse weekend street car

Of course, these numbers aren't a "catch-all" for every racing scenario out there. But nonetheless, these big little tidbits are sort of a big deal...and just a very small sampling of what our VADER racing rods are being subjected to right at the track...not at the bench.

https://www.ffwdracingrods.com/designing-the-vader-rod/
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

FWIW ..... and assuming the rod has been correctly identified ......

IMG_3812b-Large-300x225-circle.jpeg

Absolutely no personal experience, but I for one certainly don't like that type of 'pinned' rod

The ability of those four little pins to resist the ability to fret or be torn out of relatively soft material, should the bolt not be able to locate the cap, I consider to be highly suspect

I can't see any other reason why they might be there ........ stress risers anyone ?

A conventional hollow dowel would seem to make a lot more sense from an engineering perspective, but I guess it's maybe not always about that

JMO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

What gets me is the failure is almost identical cylinder to cylinder, separation just under the gudgeon pins, total failure and destruction almost identical down to the appearance of the scraps.

Here's a thing, no engine knows what it looks like, each cylinder thinks its on its own, it does not know if there are cylinders in front of it ,behind it ,across from it ,around it, 1,2,3,4,6,8 cylinders and on. If there is a mechanical failure in one cylinder that leads to failures of surrounding parts the damage is almost never replicable/identical in every way in a lower end assy.

As we have seen previously the more power an engine makes the more damage can be done by remaining firing cylinders carrying the rest of the assembly to death, but everything identical?

As has been put, poor rods may well be contributory, but all at once in the same place going pop??

Here's another to ponder.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

^ Looks like how a lightening strike can split a tree.
Pic 3. Is that actual grain flow exposed or just the resulting damage of the split?
Judging by the hole in the piston (nitro?) did the split begin at the top and then hammered it self in half?
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."