Top end oiling issue after hydraulic roller change.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Hotrodhawk
Top end oiling issue after hydraulic roller change.

Post by Hotrodhawk »

I switched to LS7 lifters in my 2nd gen sbc LT1, prior to this change they were comp 875's and I alway had great oiling to the rocker arms.
When preoiling on the stand it took rotating the crank to get everything upstairs oiling. (Should of been my first clue) I never had to do that before the lifter update.
In looking around here I read that the oiling hole in these LS7 lifters are positioned differently on them compared to the previous type I used.
So is there anything I can do to remedy the piss poor topend oiling these have created, other than going back to the previous design?

I put 200 miles on the fresh motor a couple days ago and found I have cooked oil on the top of the rocker arms.
Not good at all and my fresh set of springs and new valve guides are probably loving me about now...lol
Cold oil pressure 70 , hot 40

Any suggestions, thx
Jeff
Enjoys playing with LT1junk
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: Top end oiling issue after hydraulic roller change.

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Hotrodhawk wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:13 pm I switched to LS7 lifters in my 2nd gen sbc LT1, prior to this change they were comp 875's and I alway had great oiling to the rocker arms.
When preoiling on the stand it took rotating the crank to get everything upstairs oiling. (Should of been my first clue) I never had to do that before the lifter update.
In looking around here I read that the oiling hole in these LS7 lifters are positioned differently on them compared to the previous type I used.
So is there anything I can do to remedy the piss poor topend oiling these have created, other than going back to the previous design?

I put 200 miles on the fresh motor a couple days ago and found I have cooked oil on the top of the rocker arms.
Not good at all and my fresh set of springs and new valve guides are probably loving me about now...lol

Any suggestions, thx
Jeff
Am I reading this correctly ... it sounds like you have .842" diameter lifters in .875" lifter bores.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

Comp 875s are .842?Tom
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Hotrodhawk wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:13 pm
I'd call that normal, pushrod oil hole and oil hole in rocker arm doesn't have to line up for the full range of travel.

Bugger, that's not normal, is the relief around the body of the lifter higher on the set you're using now ?
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

Why did you decide to change ?

Did you change anything else ? Looks like the LS7 lifters might require a slightly longer pushrod ?

How much preload did you use when you adjusted the valves ?
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
RW TECH
Guru
Guru

Post by RW TECH »

What you are describing is normal.

LS7 and other OEM production LS lifters meter oil to the top of the engine. They don't gush it up there and it doesn't need to be either.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

BillK wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:52 am Looks like the LS7 lifters might require a slightly longer pushrod ?
This would be interesting to know seeing as it could represent issues beyond just top end oiling.
I went through this when going from COMPs conventional lifter to their short travel version. Pushrod cup height was different between the two necessitating a revisit of the geometry.
Kevin
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

BillK wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:52 am Looks like the LS7 lifters might require a slightly longer pushrod?
This would be interesting to know seeing as it could represent issues beyond just top end oiling.
I went through this when going from COMPs conventional lifter to their short travel version. Pushrod cup height was different between the two necessitating a revisit of the geometry.
Kevin
Hotrodhawk

Post by Hotrodhawk »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:08 pm
Hotrodhawk wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:13 pm I switched to LS7 lifters in my 2nd gen sbc LT1, prior to this change they were comp 875's and I alway had great oiling to the rocker arms.

Any suggestions, thx
Jeff
Am I reading this correctly ... it sounds like you have .842" diameter lifters in .875" lifter bores.
Comp 875's & Ls7 are the same bore size.
Hotrodhawk

Post by Hotrodhawk »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:08 pm

Any suggestions, thx
Jeff
Comp 875's & Ls7 are the same bore size.
Hotrodhawk

Post by Hotrodhawk »

skinny z wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:11 am
BillK wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:52 am Looks like the LS7 lifters might require a slightly longer pushrod ?
I did fined out the Cup height is more shallow in LS7 lifters compared to what Gm designed prior to the LS.
That's what gets me why they call them a drop in lifter for any factory gm motor that was equipped with hyd rollers.
I found out yesterday the differance is like .069
HDBD
Expert
Expert

Post by HDBD »

There are ls lifters with standard body length and pushrod seat, .700 roller.
Hotrodhawk

Post by Hotrodhawk »

RW TECH wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:40 am What you are describing is normal.

LS7 and other OEM production LS lifters meter oil to the top of the engine. They don't gush it up there and it doesn't need to be either.
Yes I understand it won't be gushing but typically when you remove a valve cover after driving for miles there are areas where it collected, I have zero. What oil that's coated the surfaces is very light in amount. Like I described the oil is burnt O "COKED" on the top edges of the comp roller rockers. The Lash adjuster set screws have oil collected in them but something is wrong here..
I wish I could fire this up with the covers off to run thru the valves but with coils on the valve covers its pretty much impossible.
I lashed this thing twice already. zero lash then pre load of .070
Something is off!
Hotrodhawk

Post by Hotrodhawk »

Tom68 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:06 am

Bugger, that's not normal, is the relief around the body of the lifter higher on the set you're using now ?
No but the comps had a machined path from the top of that relief area up to the feed hole that sets higher on its body.
Hotrodhawk

Post by Hotrodhawk »

BillK wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:52 am Why did you decide to change ?

Did you change anything else ? Looks like the LS7 lifters might require a slightly longer pushrod ?

How much preload did you use when you adjusted the valves ?
I changed because I had two different sets of 875's loose plunger retainers back in the day. The car had set in storage for 12 years after the second failure (lost interest).
Now this last year I decided to do something and get this car back running and read that these new Ls7 lifters are drop ins and spin at higher rpm.

Set them zero lash then preload of 1/4 turn on 7/16 studs. So around .075 -.078