Why Does Speedway Use One Gear But Flat Track Uses Multiple Gears?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

nicholastanguma
HotPass
HotPass

Why Does Speedway Use One Gear But Flat Track Uses Multiple Gears?

Post by nicholastanguma »

Speedway race bikes use direct drive, one gear; flat track race bikes typically use a four gear transmission.

Why the discrepancy? Both machines are performing the same mechanical motions, and their riders are, too. And, in fact, from what I understand, flat trackers usually put their trans into 3rd gear and leave it there, so in effect they self-limit to one gear anyway.

Also, I think speedway race cars and dirt track race cars do exactly the same as all of the above.

What the what? :?
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Why Does Speedway Use One Gear But Flat Track Uses Multiple Gears?

Post by Tom68 »

nicholastanguma wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:46 am Speedway race bikes use direct drive, one gear; flat track race bikes typically use a four gear transmission.

Why the discrepancy? Both machines are performing the same mechanical motions, and their riders are, too. And, in fact, from what I understand, flat trackers usually put their trans into 3rd gear and leave it there, so in effect they self-limit to one gear anyway.

Also, I think speedway race cars and dirt track race cars do exactly the same as all of the above.

What the what? :?
There will be rules that dictate some of this, only run what you need to carry otherwise.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

85 hp, 190 pound bike on a 1/4 mile dirt oval, no time for shifting gears, lol
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Most speedway bike tracks are considerably less than 1/4-mile (indoor is common) and the races are only a few laps.

And I'm not sure about your saying most flat tracks run in 3rd gear. Admittedly, my experience was from before some here were born, but any gear reduction takes power to drive. Back in the day, it was always raced in direct/high gear. There was a box full of front and rear sprockets to fine-tune the powerband for the speed of the track and the weather; dry clay, damp clay, blue groove, heat, main, et al.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Flat track bikes come with transmssioms.transmissions..

Ps speedways cousin grass track bikes do use a 2 speed