New SBC heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

1980RS
Guru
Guru
New SBC heads

Post by 1980RS »

So I got my new Chi-na heads today and after a quick look I thought to myself, these look just like my Dart 200's except for the chambers volume. The bowls, the exhaust ports and the valve seats all looked identical until I got to the intake port opening. Now the port is tall using a 1206 gasket, they are not raised runner so no problem with intake manifolds but the pinch is super narrow and looked even smaller than factory Vortec heads. I am going to use my Dart cast heads as sort of a template to open the pinch up so these will flow more like the Darts I have now. I know I should not use stuff like this but I really wanted to see why guys can't make any power with these heads so after seeing the pinch that may be the very reason and the fact that the intake could use at least a 2.05 valve these look pretty good. The decks are super thick and could be a 49cc head they were angle milled and flat milled after that, but on my one 406, these might work pretty good for a el-cheapo deal. :lol:
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Re: New SBC heads

Post by steve cowan »

I will be interested in the final size of the pinch in relation to valve/ throat size and average CSA .I like the idea of angle milling.
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

steve cowan wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:56 pm I will be interested in the final size of the pinch in relation to valve/ throat size and average CSA .I like the idea of angle milling.
Thanks Steve, I think the decks on these heads are like .750 thick. I will flow the cast iron Darts and these at the same time so that should be a pretty good test as they are both 200cc runners, well the copies will be after I get done with them.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

On your 406 they should work really good super victor or holley strip dominator??
steve c
Greg Long
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Greg Long »

If your heads have a number 12DO115 above the center exhaust ports, check the top row of head bolt holes for alignment. I just fixed a set that were off left to right so far, the bolts would not start to thread in without forcing them.
This set had numerous other problems, but that was more related to the customer taking the seller's word for the description of the heads.
Hope yours are not the same. Greg
EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

Which "brand" did you end up with?

Did a few of the AFR versions and they seemed like a pretty nice casting.

This set build for a "street" solid roller combination in a tri-five Chevy gasser deal.
"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ed Curtis - www.FlowTechInduction.com
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

steve cowan wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:00 am On your 406 they should work really good super victor or holley strip dominator??
I am going to use my Ported 2925 S/V on these heads since it's ported to the 1206 gaskets and the new heads are about that height in the opening. I have to tell you the pinch when I checked them against my Dart 200s were a 1/4" smaller. Anyone see a problem with that? otherwise everything is almost identical to the Dart heads.

The new aluminum heads bare came in at 20 lbs.
The cast iron Darts came in at 50 lbs.

So 60 lbs. of the front of the car and another 30 lbs. off with the new aluminum radiator deal, close to 100 lbs.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

EDC wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:50 pm Which "brand" did you end up with?

This set build for a "street" solid roller combination in a tri-five Chevy gasser deal.
Mine were off of Amazon The Dynasty Store. They are pretty much all the same except the AFR's have a better finish work done to them.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

You can DIY carve the pinch as big as you need.
These heads are intended to be ported by the end user.
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

Eric Weingertener has some vids on chinese heads on youtube, may be worth checking out.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

1980RS wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:38 pm
steve cowan wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:00 am On your 406 they should work really good super victor or holley strip dominator??
I am going to use my Ported 2925 S/V on these heads since it's ported to the 1206 gaskets and the new heads are about that height in the opening. I have to tell you the pinch when I checked them against my Dart 200s were a 1/4" smaller. Anyone see a problem with that? otherwise everything is almost identical to the Dart heads.

So 60 lbs. of the front of the car and another 30 lbs. off with the new aluminum radiator deal, close to 100 lbs.
I calculated using a mach index of 690 ft/ sec for your cubes at 7000 rpm a minimum csa of 2.35in2 factors in radius,
Not sure if you can get area without blowing the pinch out.
Otherwise all you can do is make it as big as possible.
steve c
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

steve cowan wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:02 pm
1980RS wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:38 pm

I calculated using a mach index of 690 ft/ sec for your cubes at 7000 rpm a minimum csa of 2.35in2 factors in radius,
Not sure if you can get area without blowing the pinch out.
Otherwise all you can do is make it as big as possible.
Steve, what minimum CSA do you calculate for 377 at 7K rpm? Are you using a version of pipemax? I have a pair of these I'll be playing with soon hopefully, the first thing I noticed when I took them out of the packaging was how tight it was at the pushrod pinch. Planning on 2.08/1.60 valve.
Pro question poster.
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

EDC wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:50 pm Which "brand" did you end up with?

EDC those springs look small for a solid roller? what are they and how big is the cam?
Pro question poster.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

The Dart copies were a little over 1/8" width smaller than the Dart 200's I have. Quite a difference.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

1980RS wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:46 am The Dart copies were a little over 1/8" width smaller than the Dart 200's I have. Quite a difference.
With the as cast meat at the pinch you have the capacity to now create the size and SHAPE of the radius of the pinch, as you port these heads for power.
Keep us informed as you do the workup on these heads.