Looking for some Help...SBC Oil fouling plug

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Looking for some Help...SBC Oil fouling plug

Post by Schurkey »

Tom68 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:54 pm I told a lie, this is the actual messy GM sealer I use for wet head bolts..

20220910_115119.jpg
That is almost certainly NOT an anaerobic sealer.

An anaerobic sealer would be unlikely to come in a metal container, with an air-tight lid. I don't know what is inside the container--but it's not the Loctite sealers we've been discussing. Based on the residue traces I can see on the lid, I"m thinking it's perhaps re-packaged Aviation Permatex (#3) but that's entirely a guess.

The anaerobic sealers WILL NOT FLOW once cured because they've HARDENED in the absence of air and the presence of "active" steel--or the presence of the aerosol activator. They are not like "ordinary" non-anaerobic "Teflon" pipe dope, which has some solvent that dries-out, but remains pliable/flowable. The Loctite/Permatex/other brands of "Teflon" pipe thread sealers--and I'm thinking particularly about Permatex in the brush-top plastic bottle which I've actually used and discarded--are CRAP compared to the anaerobic versions I've listed--565, 567, 592, and there are other numbers besides those.
Horder

Re: Looking for some Help...SBC Oil fouling plug

Post by Horder »

Just wanted to get back to everyone on my oil issues. My spark plugs are clean! It was all related to rocker studs. Original sealant was likely a bad choice. I then tried an anaerobic sealer. Parts were spotless and used as per directions. Possibly a bad batch but it never hardened. Before I realized that I had changed the intake gasket to no avail. I pulled the studs again to find the mushy and oil soaked sealer. I went with the Right Stuff on the last try. My plugs have been clean ever since. Engines running fantastic.
Thanks for all the advice!!! Much appreciated

Rob