egr tube repair

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

egr tube repair

Post by Bill Chase »

Figure if anyone would know it would be you guys. I have a broken egr tube on a 96-00 L29 454 gen VI BBC. gm discontinued the part over a decade ago, used tubes sell for 350-454 on ebay. I looked at it and the fitting on the manifold and intake is just a -12 jic with 3/4" opening. have any of you ever used dom hydraulic line and bent it to replace an egr tube? stuff is rated at 3500 psi, and can be bought in stainless or mild steel. flares easily to 37* and the fittings are available, bends easy. and I can wrap it with header wrap. any reason it wouldnt hold up in this situation? I cant bring myself to spend over 400 bucks on a used part. was hoping for a cheaper repair option. any suggestions?

or maybe one of you guys put one in a chevell and have the stock manifolds and egr laying around at a reasonable price?
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: egr tube repair

Post by PackardV8 »

Do you have to pass an emissions test?
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

PackardV8 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:22 am Do you have to pass an emissions test?
no, but im trying to do this engine swap with stock ecu, and was hoping to avoid having to pay hp tuners credit and patch cable price just to disable it. and its just a truck that will be used for some towing, so id like to not make the 12-13 mpg any worse than it already is.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

Do you have a picture of the part ? I have a complete 2000 engine in my next door unit that might have it on it. I am going to be using the long block for a marine build so I wont need that part.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

BillK wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:58 am Do you have a picture of the part ? I have a complete 2000 engine in my next door unit that might have it on it. I am going to be using the long block for a marine build so I wont need that part.
it connects to the driver's side manifold and runs to the intake, right behind the egr valve. Ideally both fittings and the line would be great Bill K. Drew a black line around it. If you have it let me know. Can send payment anyway you prefer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

Is the original tube "corrugated" so that vibration won't crack it?

I'd be a bit concerned about using ordinary tubing that's not designed to flex.
Racer71
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer71 »

100 bucks for credits to delete it. I don’t think hyd hose would deal with the heat long term. If you don’t have anyone local to tune I’ll do it for you on the cheap as a member to member if you can’t run one down.