2017 Expedition 3.5 EB cam phasers

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

travis
Guru
Guru
2017 Expedition 3.5 EB cam phasers

Post by travis »

We've got a 2017 Expedition EL as our family truckster. Apparently the cam phasers in these 3.5 Ecoboost engines (and many others) are a long known problem. Ours has had a random startup rattle for the last 30k miles or so, but lately it has gotten much louder and happening much more often, but it still only happens at a cold startup.

I briefly looked at the replacement procedure on YouTube and decided I really didn't want to mess with. It looks like there may be some software or programming updates needed as well.

I've called multiple dealerships service departments today and am getting a pretty wide range of pricing...so far it's anything from $2500 to $6500, parts and labor.

How complicated is this work, and what kind of pricing would you expect to see?
BillK
Guru
Guru

Re: 2017 Expedition 3.5 EB cam phasers

Post by BillK »

I am sure the labor cost will vary depending on where you are located. The one thing I would suggest is making sure that only OEM Ford parts are used. Where are you located ? Might be a good independent shop nearby that can do the job.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
Racer71
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer71 »

Pays 12.2 hours to do both. You’re supposed to do a neutral profile reset upon changing any timing components. Gears from ford list price 150 ea for exhaust 170 for intake so figure around 120 cost. I haven’t had to do much with the ecoboost motors yet, a few turbo swaps, fuse box failures. Figure a oil change and coolant along with on parts list, I’d do chains etc. typically when the phasers go bad you’ll get P0010 through 16 codes.
V12MECH

Post by V12MECH »

Assuming some timing "P" codes have popped up at some point, driving for last 30K with noise is risky with these. Yes phasers and chain, guides is best option, how many miles on vehicle now? After repair, depending on miles transmission maybe next on list, could start to get expensive to keep.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

It hasn't thrown any codes yet. 136k miles, and I'm about an hour east of Tulsa, Oklahoma.

After calling multiple dealerships, it looks like $2300-2500 is about the norm. I think the $6500 guy just didn't want to do it.

I hope it's got many more years of life left in it before having to spend major $$$ on repairs, as I just paid it off and I don't want to get back into another car payment anytime soon.
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

There is eliminator kits- if you plan on keeping the truck.
The phazers have been an issue as long as I can remember- what kills them? Why hasn't ford fixed the issue- or is it a gold mine?
V12MECH

Post by V12MECH »

At that mileage and no codes, it's most likely the tensioners bleeding down , noise is not from high pressure fuel pump or lifters? Then leave it overnight at a shop experienced with the procedures to do the complete job and let them hear noise. I have done just chains and just phasers and was lucky with no problems or comebacks, I know good shops that had problems when not doing the whole deal, and had to redo things a second time, welcome to the modern world.
Racer71
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer71 »

Usually start up noise is chains, phasers typically sound like a diesel at idle hot.