Comp Cams Conical Springs

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

navseng

Comp Cams Conical Springs

Post by navseng »

Wondering if anyone has had continued success using comp cams conical springs? I have a single spring setup on a yates SBF that basically just has dyno time on it so far. I don't have much reason to doubt them other than of having no safety of a dual spring holding the valve up in case of a spring failure. This spring package was setup and matched for the cam profile / valvetrain weights specifically, but like I said it is a bit concerning only having one valve spring. The engine will be used in road racing and operate at a max of 8500 RPM

Just looking to hear others experiences using these springs.
Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Re: Comp Cams Conical Springs

Post by Caprimaniac »

Hello, Navseng.
Sorry, have not used the conical comp springs. There has been some discussion here and on yellowbullet. Search, and you will find?
Personally looked up the specs when I needed a new set of springs. But none matched what I needed.

8500 rpm sounds a bit risky eith a single spring. Hydraulic? Or maybe mech flat tappet? Small, titanium valves?
My new build has the rev limiter also set to 8500, but srings are quite stiff, and double.
How to turn GURU in an instant.....
EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

Conical duals on a set of Higgins Ford heads.

Nearly .900" lift

Working great for this Drag Week combination.

"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ed Curtis - www.FlowTechInduction.com
navseng

Post by navseng »

Caprimaniac wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:34 pm Hello, Navseng.
Sorry, have not used the conical comp springs. There has been some discussion here and on yellowbullet. Search, and you will find?
Personally looked up the specs when I needed a new set of springs. But none matched what I needed.

8500 rpm sounds a bit risky eith a single spring. Hydraulic? Or maybe mech flat tappet? Small, titanium valves?
My new build has the rev limiter also set to 8500, but srings are quite stiff, and double.
I have searched a bit. I haven’t seen much of anything in the last 3-4 years.

It’s a solid roller yes , titanium valves. 2.100 and 1.6 , 5/16 stem
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

navseng wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:51 pm

How much lift?
navseng

Post by navseng »

bob460 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:24 pm

How much lift?
About .750"
BLSTIC
Expert
Expert

Post by BLSTIC »

navseng wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:09 pm I don't have much reason to doubt them other than of having no safety of a dual spring holding the valve up in case of a spring failure. This spring package was setup and matched for the cam profile / valvetrain weights specifically, but like I said it is a bit concerning only having one valve spring.
Is this actually a thing? Surely if the spring broke it would do so at high rpm, in which case the secondary spring would be largely worthless anyway?
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

navseng wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:55 pm
bob460 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:24 pm

How much lift?
About .750"
I know a guy used them on here on a twin turbo BBC with 2.350 ss valve, and went to 7200rpm. He was also around .750 lift.
He had around 135 seat pressure.

Also Bob at Madcap engines user's them in the copo hydraulic roller engines to 8000rpm.

But single spring at 8500rpm would scare me aswell.

Who recommended using the conical valve spring?
What kind of power did it make?
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

I used some new Isky conical springs in '79 they were junk. After that I bought some GM off road Z/28 springs form Chevy and I could spin my 327 to the moon. The Isky springs were done at 5500 rpm.
navseng

Post by navseng »

bob460 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:31 pm
navseng wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:55 pm

About .750"
I know a guy used them on here on a twin turbo BBC with 2.350 ss valve, and went to 7200rpm. He was also around .750 lift.

Also Bob at Madcap engines user's them in the copo hydraulic roller engines to 8000rpm.

That's probably a pretty damn heavy valve too. I just don't see or here about them being used all that often, but then I will hear people say nothing but good things, so its hard to know for sure what the general consesus is on them.

I had a local guy do it who I trust . I guess being in manufacturing makes me doubt materials and pretty much anything so its just been something on my mind..

We did many pulls to 8700 on the dyno with no issues. Engine made 710/540 out of 360" so I am pretty happy with it, just a little concerned with the springs.
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

navseng wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:24 am
bob460 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:31 pm I know a guy used them on here on a twin turbo BBC with 2.350 ss valve, and went to 7200rpm. He was also around .750 lift.

That's probably a pretty damn heavy valve too. I just don't see or here about them being used all that often, but then I will hear people say nothing but good things, so its hard to know for sure what the general consesus is on them.

I had a local guy do it who I trust . I guess being in manufacturing makes me doubt materials and pretty much anything so its just been something on my mind..

We did many pulls to 8700 on the dyno with no issues. Engine made 710/540 out of 360" so I am pretty happy with it, just a little concerned with the springs.
The dual conicals as EDC posted will work with .750 lift, to make you feel more comfortable.

But if you trust your builder go with it, seems like a nice combo.
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

Yup, 2.30 bbc valve, 1.88 inconel exhaust. Comp 7256 springs setup 135 lb seat or so. Been to 7400 rpm and 27 psi boost so far, over 1800 whp and seems good. Its scary when looking at that small spring and how heavy the valves are but math works lol. Its near .750” lift. Solid roller.

Comp does make a dual conical for serious rpm.
Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Post by Caprimaniac »

Actually, that might be true. Maybe because they weren’t the Saviour, after all? After you post a follow- up in this thread, scroll down and you see «relevant» threads. There was a tjread with some good follow-ups, but as you say- some years ago.
Seems like you have found a good recepie on lightweight/ light spring rpm smallblock. Are tour springs beehive? (Yet another hyped-up spring type, some years back, but I’m sure they have their place in engine building).
How to turn GURU in an instant.....
navseng

Post by navseng »

Orr89rocz wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:47 am Yup, 2.30 bbc valve, 1.88 inconel exhaust. Comp 7256 springs setup 135 lb seat or so. Been to 7400 rpm and 27 psi boost so far, over 1800 whp and seems good. Its scary when looking at that small spring and how heavy the valves are but math works lol. Its near .750” lift. Solid roller.

Comp does make a dual conical for serious rpm.
Yeah I am using the same spring part number. I definitely agree, it looks scary lol. I think the retainer is less than 1" OD !

How long have you been running them?
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

Bout a year now.