Melting 10550ST SBC Oil pump

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

xanadu
Pro
Pro

Melting 10550ST SBC Oil pump

Post by xanadu »

Hi all, have done a lot of searches on this oil pump and can find no real world experiences since 2018. I have a current sbc build underway / stroked 383, and am looking for advice. The original engine had a
bbc oil pump with a custom oil pan. The intended vehicle it will reside in is a HK Monaro with original steering componentry. I have had a pan built by a reputable company to suit this engine / vehicle, but with my lack of knowledge have found myself in this position where the BBC oil pump originally fitted, will not fit the custom pan I had made. So on that note I need a recommendation to suit a 5/8 pickup oil pump. I purchased an M55HV pump with intentions to do the normal blueprinting etc. and with a little more web searching, I came across the 10550ST pump. I emailed mellings with the intended purpose of this engine and this is the pump they recommended. This engine has 0.025” mains and rod clearances and has piston squirters, will most likely max. Rpm at 6500-6800Rpm. Any recent, real world scenarios with this pump / setup would be greatly appreciated.
rgalajda
Pro
Pro

Re: Melting 10550ST SBC Oil pump

Post by rgalajda »

10550ST is a high volume and high pressure pump. Aprox 78 psi ,I believe, unless you change the spring.

M55HV is a high volume standard pressure pump

.025" mains and rod clearance should not require a high pressure pump or high volume

opinions may differ if I'm missing something
novafornow
Pro
Pro

Post by novafornow »

I run an st pump and would not go back to a standard pump. Extremely smooth operating pump. Get the +10 version and move on.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

Here is a thread from a couple of months ago.

viewtopic.php?p=919814&sid=154d569a442e ... f8cf6da284
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

xanadu wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:31 am Hi all, have done a lot of searches on this oil pump and can find no real world experiences since 2018. I have a current sbc build underway / stroked 383, and am looking for advice. The original engine had a
bbc oil pump with a custom oil pan. The intended vehicle it will reside in is a HK Monaro with original steering componentry. I have had a pan built by a reputable company to suit this engine / vehicle, but with my lack of knowledge have found myself in this position where the BBC oil pump originally fitted, will not fit the custom pan I had made. So on that note I need a recommendation to suit a 5/8 pickup oil pump. I purchased an M55HV pump with intentions to do the normal blueprinting etc. and with a little more web searching, I came across the 10550ST pump. I emailed mellings with the intended purpose of this engine and this is the pump they recommended. This engine has 0.025” mains and rod clearances and has piston squirters, will most likely max. Rpm at 6500-6800Rpm. Any recent, real world scenarios with this pump / setup would be greatly appreciated.
The standard "police" pump with the larger diameter pick-up is M155 not M55.

The one they recommended IS the sharks tooth, 25% higher volume pump with a 10 pounds higher pressure relief and uses a 5/8" pick-up.
It comes with a new chrome/moly intermediate shaft.

Their 10551ST uses the larger 3/4" diameter pick-up, (same as a big block); otherwise the same as the 10550ST.

Their 10552ST is their sharks tooth pump with a 10% higher volume and the driveshaft and idler shaft are supported at both ends going through the cover with the large diameter pick-up; (otherwise the same)
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.