Opinions/Experiences with Total Seal Quick Seat

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

fabr
Expert
Expert
Opinions/Experiences with Total Seal Quick Seat

Post by fabr »

Good,bad,useful,useless,unnecessary,best thing ever,whatever?????
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Re: Opinions/Experiences with Total Seal Quick Seat

Post by Alaskaracer »

Supposed to work good, but never used it. Light coat of oil is what I do....
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

If your not going to use a plateau hone for a final finish, then I say use it.
That being said the other good thing about it is that it will change color if you still have more bore cleaning work to do.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
fabr
Expert
Expert

Post by fabr »

It has always seemed strange to me that there isn't much on the web about it positive or negative. Not much promoting it or discouraging it being used either. Not a lot of info about how to "properly" use it either..For a product that has been out for quite some time now that is well,strange isn't it?
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

May be a helpful product from THEIR perspective. Could help a little, could hurt a little, but not hurt in a catastrophic way.
As for what we do here.....
I don't think it is any help in.....finding the right kind of rings and bore finish for what you are doing.
And once you find that then, IMO you will NOTl need any special lubricant besides plain engine oil or break-in oil.
rgalajda
Pro
Pro

Post by rgalajda »

David Vizard talks about it in his " Chevy Big Blocks Book ". I had my bores finished with 400 grit stones followed by brush hone.
Sprayed Gunk engine cleaner one bore at a time and used a green Scotch-Brite pad to rub the bore surface in an up and down motion for a couple of minutes or so. After Scotch-Briting bores, they were repeatedly washed and dried. Bores were nearly mirror finish. Lastly applied Total Seal dry powder and watch for color change.
I did use file fit Total Seal rings and the engine never required any oil to top it up thereafter in street use. 454 BBC / 500 HP
54chevkiwi
Pro
Pro

Post by 54chevkiwi »

This maynt help because i cant tell you anything about the hone, but i used it a few times with no problems breaking in or running the engine...

I was told by a prominent engine guy that uses it and by total seal to wipe the cylinder out with wd40 after cleaning the cylinders and before the total seal.., i couldnt get the green colour change unless/untill i done that... so, was the awesome break in caused by the wd40 and the quick seat was redundant..? Was it the guys hone/ring combo? No idea..

Currently i have it again in a dart shp block with mahle rings, machined by carl hinkson, not quite ready to fire yet but i trust it
67satellite

Post by 67satellite »

rgalajda wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:46 am David Vizard talks about it in his " Chevy Big Blocks Book ". I had my bores finished with 400 grit stones followed by brush hone.
Sprayed Gunk engine cleaner one bore at a time and used a green Scotch-Brite pad to rub the bore surface in an up and down motion for a couple of minutes or so. After Scotch-Briting bores, they were repeatedly washed and dried. Bores were nearly mirror finish. Lastly applied Total Seal dry powder and watch for color change.
I did use file fit Total Seal rings and the engine never required any oil to top it up thereafter in street use. 454 BBC / 500 HP
Did this exact same process on my 470 B.B.M. Great results with no noticeable blow by out the breather.Same total seal rings and about 12 lbs. of boost.