crazy engine rebuild

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

chevyart
Re: crazy engine rebuild

Post by chevyart »

hey 1980rs that looks like it. it was popular in the late 1960s and is very low rise. art in NY
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

chevyart wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:26 am hey 1980rs that looks like it. it was popular in the late 1960s and is very low rise. art in NY
No I think that intake came out in the 80's as I had one on a 355 and while it was down on tq. over all the car ran pretty well with it.
chevyart

Post by chevyart »

hey 1980rs im sure the car ran good depending on what is was built for. in this case, i think this manifold is a very poor choice for the street. again i mention edelbrock rpm air gap supposedly tops out ALL other sbc intakes from about 2500 to 6500 RPMs.. thanks for reply Art in NY
jeff swisher
Guru
Guru

Post by jeff swisher »

I built a 350" very close to that one. I ran a Herbert 235-245@ .050 .500" lift and 108 LSA.
Ported and milled 186 heads Milled to 54cc.
Flat tops 5cc reliefs.
I ran an RPM intake I do not like the air gap at all as I must add way more fuel to eliminate a lean bog went temps are in the 80's or less.
I also ran the old Strip Dominator you could not tell you swapped intakes.

I ended up with a 12" tall tunnel-ram and 2 600's on that 350 and in a 78 Nova with 3000 stall and 4.56 gears it went 11.4 in the 1/4
Car weighed 2980 with me in it.
This was a solid flat tappet cam.
Best shift point (TH350) at the track was 6900 rpm but open road top end runs it would pull higher than your tighty whities want to go.

I let a couple friends drive it and one did not know how to drive and buried the needle on an 8500rpm tachometer in first gear then let off after I back handed him.

He told me he would usually shift his car when it quit pulling.
He is not the only guy that has done that to me.

That cam is very stable in my book I ran 1.5 rockers and 110 seat pressure, 315 open pressure.
Momus
Pro
Pro

Post by Momus »

chevyart wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:13 pm my buddy knows nothing about engines or performance. he went to this guy because his father and brother went to this guy and got the same kind of builds and the same hi horsepower baloney and never had anything making power of performance as the guy had promised ' he never asked for any type of engine build.he is my fried and i have been around good drag motors since the early 90s, so i just tried to steer him away from this guy and his crazy engine building.he listened to his brother and to none of my suggestions, even as the motor was in production and maybe changed a little bit for the bette,. and he even knew that i am a fairly well informed hot rodder its a street car and he just asked for a good street engine combo. price was not an issue. i mentioned that he should get a decent set of aluminum heads and a modern roller hydraulic, and a rpm performer airgap intake.. the guy sold him one of the old chevy blocks he had in his warehouse and some older set of chevy casting and that old single plane intake, which is definitely a poor choice for a street cruiser. maybe heads had 2.02s in there, but probably not. he used flat top pistons and has aprox. 10.0 compression. he used a cheap harmonic balancer on it. he also used 1.6 rockers on exhaust and 1.5 on intakes. this is a street engine. a better cam could have done all this instead of the stupid stuff with the entire valve train.he also took over 8 months to do the build(maybe more time). still cant figure out why he specifically had him buy a 152 tooth flexplate(can anyone answer that one?)(any advantage to the small flexplate?) there is no dyno sheet, so im sure there were no dyno pulls) he just started it on an engine stand. thisbuilder took over this business from his father and the father is no longer doing the work. i just figure this guy just sold him all the old engine parts he had in stock with no suggestion for upgrades or more modern technology. as i mentioned earlier, he had him buy a 2500 stall converter and the mfg. of cam says to get one between 3200 and 3500 rpms. appreciate any input. thanks Art in NY
Lol. Major run on. Have you heard of capitalising the first letter of a sentence?
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

RCJ wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:26 pm Back in the day I had a 62 chevy ll. If it would have had 500hp I would probably be dead.
I have a habit of telling "it oughta make" guys that IF they had a solid, legit 300 HP on the street they would poop their pants or kill themselves. :D
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."