crazy engine rebuild

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

chevyart
crazy engine rebuild

Post by chevyart »

a friend had a local roundy round engine builder do him up a new engine for his 62 nova street car. he sold him a 358 cub engine with around 10to 1 compression . stock chevy steel heads. dont know valve size or what was done to them. he used a crazy cam(i think) for this build. its a herbert flat tappet hydraulic about 235to 240 duration with only about .500 lift and 108 lobe centers. specs say this cam makes power from around 3500 to 6200 RPMs, specs say it has a bad idle and draws very low vacuum.. he also had him buy a 152 tooth flex plate? this whole setup sounds crazy to me. he also sold him a 1960s weind single plane intake.(not a very high high riser) and a 750 double pump. he also had him buy a 2500 to 3000 stall converter. cam company recommends 3200 to 3500 stall. he told him the engine will make around 535 horsepower. i think the guy is crazy with this whole setup and claims. any comments thanks art in ny
Momus
Pro
Pro
Re: crazy engine rebuild

Post by Momus »

Punctuation will help a lot here.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

At best if the heads are something like 461 castings and have 2.02/ 1.60” valves it will make like 435 hp with that cam’s .500” lift and 10 to 1.

Even with factory iron Vortec heads running only .500” lift he’s looking at only 470 Hp!

He’s being told a line of pure crap by that builder!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
chevyart

Post by chevyart »

hey homus. if you look, there are many, many short sentences, each ending with a period. could be a comma where there should be a dot. why dont you just reply to the problem i posted and not the grammar, which is pretty close to proper. thanks for the other reply art in ny
bigcam406
Pro
Pro

Post by bigcam406 »

Would help if the OP was more specific with the description.
chevyart

Post by chevyart »

hey big cam not sure what OP means. could you please clarify that for me nd i will respond right away. thanks Art in NY
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

One thing is certain....... on a legit dyno....... it won’t make 535hp.

That being said, I don’t see anything particularly “wrong” with the engine combo(nothing grossly mismatched).
It’s just not a combo of parts that’s going to produce 500hp+(Or even get all that close).
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
bigcam406
Pro
Pro

Post by bigcam406 »

OP means original post. I have never heard of Weiand producing a single plane intake in 60's. Also what heads are on it? Factory heads? Casting number? Chamber size? From what I have read so far, I would guess 425 HP.
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

Team G intake and a Victor Jr were very close on the dyno. With vortecs angle milled alot and 250 @.050 we were get around 500.
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

Hard to know what your buddy is looking for....

I'd stay out of his business and let the guy your friend decided to use build the engine he agreed to.

Maybe he just wants the sound of the 108 cam... who knows.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

I don't know, the parts I used in my Vortec 406 with a Hyd. cam and mild stuff was enough to get in the high 10's N/A, so I guess it could work.
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

Back in the day I had a 62 chevy ll. If it would have had 500hp I would probably be dead.
chevyart

Post by chevyart »

my buddy knows nothing about engines or performance. he went to this guy because his father and brother went to this guy and got the same kind of builds and the same hi horsepower baloney and never had anything making power of performance as the guy had promised ' he never asked for any type of engine build.he is my fried and i have been around good drag motors since the early 90s, so i just tried to steer him away from this guy and his crazy engine building.he listened to his brother and to none of my suggestions, even as the motor was in production and maybe changed a little bit for the bette,. and he even knew that i am a fairly well informed hot rodder its a street car and he just asked for a good street engine combo. price was not an issue. i mentioned that he should get a decent set of aluminum heads and a modern roller hydraulic, and a rpm performer airgap intake.. the guy sold him one of the old chevy blocks he had in his warehouse and some older set of chevy casting and that old single plane intake, which is definitely a poor choice for a street cruiser. maybe heads had 2.02s in there, but probably not. he used flat top pistons and has aprox. 10.0 compression. he used a cheap harmonic balancer on it. he also used 1.6 rockers on exhaust and 1.5 on intakes. this is a street engine. a better cam could have done all this instead of the stupid stuff with the entire valve train.he also took over 8 months to do the build(maybe more time). still cant figure out why he specifically had him buy a 152 tooth flexplate(can anyone answer that one?)(any advantage to the small flexplate?) there is no dyno sheet, so im sure there were no dyno pulls) he just started it on an engine stand. thisbuilder took over this business from his father and the father is no longer doing the work. i just figure this guy just sold him all the old engine parts he had in stock with no suggestion for upgrades or more modern technology. as i mentioned earlier, he had him buy a 2500 stall converter and the mfg. of cam says to get one between 3200 and 3500 rpms. appreciate any input. thanks Art in NY
chevyart

Post by chevyart »

PS this weind single plane was a very low riser intake. nowhere even close to a victor jr or team g intake.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

chevyart wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:16 pm PS this weind single plane was a very low riser intake. nowhere even close to a victor jr or team g intake.
Was it this one?