General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

stealth
Guru
Guru
Spark Plugs.. Resistor V. Non-resistor

Post by stealth »

The spark plug post got me to thinking.

Is there any real advantage to Non-Resistor plugs? The info I found is a bit vague and sometimes conflicting.

Anyone have good data?
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Re: Spark Plugs.. Resistor V. Non-resistor

Post by steve cowan »

stealth wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:54 pm The spark plug post got me to thinking.

Is there any real advantage to Non-Resistor plugs? The info I found is a bit vague and sometimes conflicting.

Anyone have good data?
I don't have hard evidence but I always figured the resistor/ non resistor spark plug deal was a myth in a carb engine deal with no electronics as in EFI setup.
Several years ago I was chasing a track only high speed miss,after changing and checking everything I changed the new spark plugs to another set of new resistor type spark plugs same heat range,miss gone.
Another one is I built a 400hp 350 vortec SBC for my uncle who had a hotrod.
Originally we ran without resistor spark plugs and the car ran really well.
He always complained about he could not drive the car with his million dollar hearing aids in his ears.
So I serviced the hotrod and put resistor spark plugs in not thinking anything about it.
So a couple of months later he pull up in hotrod wearing hearing aids and says he can wear them now so I think it must be spark plugs???
Did not do A -B- A test to prove.
It was a carb engine with electronic distributor only.
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

computer controlled race engines run resistor plugs to prevent interference with the computer.
Elroy
Pro
Pro

Post by Elroy »

There is a definite hole in the market for resistor plugs in racing/high hp/high compression engines. Brisk has recently filled in some of the blanks, just used a set. But they are not cheap. Why NGK hasn't gotten with the program with inexpensive, copper, resistor plugs in popular reaches etc, in the heat ranges needed for high hp stuff....I have no idea. There is a lot of big hp stuff these days with a lot of electronics on board.

Aftermarket EFI's, even carbureted LS's with modules that only fire the coils require them(usually). Seems crazy someone hasn't gotten the message yet.

https://www.briskusa.com/
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

stealth wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:54 pm The spark plug post got me to thinking.

Anyone have good data?
Only SOMETIMES ...
if that internal resistor becomes bad or open for some reason, it will still fire but, weakly and power will be lost. A new plug solves the issue.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

I doubt there is a NGK plug made today.....that doesn't have a copper slug in the centre electrode.

NGK pioneered the concept. I recall the brutal BS campaign Champion used in adverts to discredit the copper. Now Champion.....& the rest..use copper.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

For bikes, many use resistor NGk plug caps rather than resistor plugs.....Both are 5000 ohms, but the caps are a bit bulky and may not fit with some headers
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

Truckedup wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:35 am For bikes, many use resistor NGk plug caps rather than resistor plugs.....Both are 5000 ohms, but the caps are a bit bulky and may not fit with some headers
CB1100F_Spark_Cap_XD05F_01.jpg
CB1100F_Spark_Cap_XD05F_02.jpg

Strangely, the almost-90-degree plug caps were easily disassembleable; while the almost-45-degree caps were a sealed assembly I couldn't take apart. The plug wires are 7mm multi-strand solid-core.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.