MLS gaskets & alloy blocks & heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

jsgarage
Expert
Expert
MLS gaskets & alloy blocks & heads

Post by jsgarage »

Back when they first came out, we were all cautioned to not use MLS gaskets on alloy heads or risk denting the soft castings. With aluminum blocks, the cautions increased. Have the rules changed or maybe the materials? I'm starting a build using a rare Fontana sprint car aluminum block and a set of vintage SVO aluminum heads, and some builders now tell me not to use composite head gaskets, which I've aways done before. Finding reliable info on a Cleveland (or Clev-or) build is not as simple as it once was. My CR will only be about 10-1/2:1 for pump gas as this is intended to be a nice lightweight 500-horse street engine, not a 900-horse pavement ripper.
superpursuit
Pro
Pro
Re: MLS gaskets & alloy blocks & heads

Post by superpursuit »

If your block and/or heads are not up to scratch hardness wise then MLS head gaskets would not be the wise choice.
Have the hardness of your heads and block checked.
Keep in mind that nearly all late model engines with alloy block & heads use MLS head gaskets.

I hope this helps.
Allan.
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Re: MLS gaskets & alloy blocks & heads

Post by RCJ »

I’ve used them on Brodiix blocks and heads.I’ve reused the same gasket on the same block and heads but it would not seal on different block and heads.