old superflow dyno help

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ClassAct
Guru
Guru
Re: old superflow dyno help

Post by ClassAct »

Strum wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:36 am i took the absorber apart and it was kinda crusty but not too bad i guess. i have almost everything figured out now i think.

a few things im unsure of: should i leave the inlet plumbing alone or switch back to a float valve and foot valve?
how much pump do i need? based on superflow's numbers its a pretty huge pump just to feed a float valve?

the impeller looks good on the blade side but the back side is a little eaten away. i dont see how it would have killed the effectiveness of it, so i think it was working fine. not sure why the float and foot valve were removed.

That impeller is shot. The seal area is wasted. That must be replaced. You already have the foot valve. I would go back to that.
And the float valve. I was told (so take that for what it’s worth) that when you see the impeller looking like that, it’s from cavitation. That’s what mine looked like. I was also told that’s caused by not having enough pump. My dyno came with pumps. When I sorted out what they were, they were barely good enough to run lawn sprinklers.

I don’t know if you priced them yet, but the seals and impeller are stupid expensive. And I couldn’t find them anywhere but SF.
Strum

Post by Strum »

i havent called around anywhere yet.
seals shouldnt be a big deal, i assumed they were off the shelf, i already measured all the orings.
figures the impeller is gonna kill me. the shape looks pretty simple and maybe i could make one on my cnc bridgeport but i couldnt balance it and id have to figure out the taper.

guess ill try giving superflow i call this afternoon.

can you share whatever info on pumps you remember? what wasnt big enough? what did you go to?

thanks
fordified
Pro
Pro

Post by fordified »

Strum wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:53 am i havent called around anywhere yet.
seals shouldnt be a big deal, i assumed they were off the shelf, i already measured all the orings.
figures the impeller is gonna kill me. the shape looks pretty simple and maybe i could make one on my cnc bridgeport but i couldnt balance it and id have to figure out the taper.

can you share whatever info on pumps you remember? what wasnt big enough? what did you go to?

thanks
Regardless of what superflow quotes you I'd call a cnc shop about having a billet piece made. They can probe it and make a nice piece. Depending on the shop, they may either be able to balance it or refer you to someone who can. You could also get it coated.
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

fordified wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:56 pm
Strum wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:53 am i havent called around anywhere yet.

thanks
Regardless of what superflow quotes you I'd call a cnc shop about having a billet piece made. They can probe it and make a nice piece. Depending on the shop, they may either be able to balance it or refer you to someone who can. You could also get it coated.
I tried that. The minimum run requirement made it cost ineffective.
Strum

Post by Strum »

i got a price for the impeller from superflow and wow its expensive.
so since this is a hobby build and not a business, im going to explore making my own for now. i still have lots of pumps and plumbing i need anyway.
im currently 3d printing a cutaway of it to see how it fits and what changes i need to make. then ill try cutting one out on my mill when im happy with the design. if i simply feel like i will not be successful ill just order the one from superflow.
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

Strum wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:47 am i got a price for the impeller from superflow and wow its expensive.
so since this is a hobby build and not a business, im going to explore making my own for now. i still have lots of pumps and plumbing i need anyway.
im currently 3d printing a cutaway of it to see how it fits and what changes i need to make. then ill try cutting one out on my mill when im happy with the design. if i simply feel like i will not be successful ill just order the one from superflow.
LOL…Superflow is proud of their stuff for sure. Did you ask about pricing on the seals???? Lube up first if you haven’t already.

I’ll be out in the shop in an hour or so and I’ll get a picture of the page in the manual so you can see what Superflow wants for pumps.
Strum

Post by Strum »

do you have any pictures of the impeller seal or the backside where the seal seats against?
i think the piece that touches the impeller on mine is the wrong one, and the way its eaten into it is supposed to be flat and not recessed.
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

Strum wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:30 pm do you have any pictures of the impeller seal or the backside where the seal seats against?
i think the piece that touches the impeller on mine is the wrong one, and the way its eaten into it is supposed to be flat and not recessed.
I’ll see if I have some pictures of the seals tonight. Those will be on my phone and I’ll have to get them on my iPad to post them here.

Here are some pictures out of the 901 manual showing how they want the dyno plumbed, what size pumps they want and some other stuff.
9C8ED63A-6645-45B8-96C1-66A5AF8BC7CD.jpeg
A0A8902B-C8E2-4AFA-BF4C-B17DB93BCB3A.jpeg
D59240C6-7990-4757-BDBB-025442257CDD.jpeg
Edit: I can say to find a filter that flows enough (what Superflow says the pumps should flow) was a nightmare. The one I bought is a big thing. Hard to mount. Haven’t finished that part of the plumbing yet. I hope to get an engine on there Labor Day weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Strum

Post by Strum »

this pump seems to meet the requirement for both fill and return. any reason i shouldnt get two?
i like 3ph so i can control it with a vfd
https://www.pumpcatalog.com/amt/straigh ... 2es30c-3p/