SBC 23 degree, for all it's faults.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

SBC 23 degree, for all it's faults.

Post by Tom68 »

Seems that fuellie heads are laughed at by some/many now.

23 degree valve angle necessitates a deep chamber that makes comp' harder to achieve.
It runs the airflow into the cylinder wall.
The resultant chamber needs a fair bit of timing to establish combustion.

OK, they're some of the bad points.

23 degree valve angle allows for a narrow V8 engine, great for replacing side valve Fords in narrow engine bays back in the day.
It allows for a low intake port, low downdraught carb height (gets you under a 1970's bonnet).
Raising the roof (ala Vortec) gets you past the pushrod pinch with better flow.

Roll it over (ala 18 degree) and you get a better attack at the cylinder end and an improved combustion chamber but you have to raise the port to get port flow.

Was the 23 degree head a pretty bloody good 50's 60's 70's and even 80's compromise for sub 350 ci engines ? History says it was.

And you gotta love the results people are getting now on big inch motors, probably not many doing it with a 70's low profile, but big numbers.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: SBC 23 degree, for all it's faults.

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Tom68 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:54 am Seems that fuellie heads are laughed at by some/many now.

23 degree valve angle necessitates a deep chamber that makes comp' harder to achieve.

23 degree valve angle allows for a narrow V8 engine, great for replacing side valve Fords in narrow engine bays back in the day.
It allows for a low intake port, low downdraught carb height (gets you under a 1970's bonnet).

Roll it over (ala 18 degree) and you get a better attack at the cylinder end and an improved combustion chamber but you have to raise the port to get port flow.

Was the 23 degree head a pretty bloody good 50's 60's 70's and even 80's compromise for sub 350 ci engines ? History says it was.

And you gotta love the results people are getting now on big inch motors, probably not many doing it with a 70's low profile, but big numbers.
I have been really surprised that the 23 degree "Raised Runner" heads did not become more popular.
Just after the time they got really noticed, the 18 degree head came into being.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Elroy
Pro
Pro

Post by Elroy »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:40 am
Tom68 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:54 am Seems that fuellie heads are laughed at by some/many now.

I have been really surprised that the 23 degree "Raised Runner" heads did not become more popular.
Just after the time they got really noticed, the 18 degree head came into being.
They were always just way too pricey for any purpose besides getting around class rules.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Tom, you missed one very very important point here on your bad list of the 23 degree design.

That is further away the valve inclination angle is from being perpendicular to the piston top the smaller the valves will need to be.

That’s a real big power limiting factor!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Elroy wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:13 pm
Walter R. Malik wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:40 am

They were always just way too pricey for any purpose besides getting around class rules.
I think you were mis-informed, then. They certainly cost more than the cast iron offerings.
In aluminum ... A Brodix -11 was MORE money than the Raised Runner 10x ...

NOW, the Chevrolet 18 degree LOW PORT was a way to skirt rules and it was only offered for a few years.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

I don't laugh at fuelly heads at all, they were good in their day, but the Vortec heads that came along in the mid-90's just showed how much better the 23 degree head could be. Gm should have kept the 16 degree valve angle the 348/409 engines had and made the pistons wright for those angle heads.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

That's appropriate.
327.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

The problem with Chevies W motor heads is the big lack of pressure recovery due to having no chamber but for a small amount of time when the pistion is near TDC.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Elroy
Pro
Pro

Post by Elroy »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:00 pm I think you were mis-informed, then. They certainly cost more than the cast iron offerings.
In aluminum ... A Brodix -11 was MORE money than the Raised Runner 10x ...
Yeah i wasn't aware of that. I was thinking a long the lines of the Allpro, and even the old AFR raised runner, very pricey.