Carburetor cleaning

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ArizonaGuy

Carburetor cleaning

Post by ArizonaGuy »

Ultrasonic? If so, what solutions work on carbon but won’t leave aluminum dull? Lots of cleaning chemicals out there marketed specifically for aluminum…. any of those worth a damn?

I’m looking to cut down on the elbow grease required. Not that I’m opposed to that, just want to be more efficient.
ArizonaGuy

Re: Carburetor cleaning

Post by ArizonaGuy »

Although Hoppes #9 does work pretty good 8)
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

Simple Green
I’m a Street/Strip guy..... like to think outside the quadrilateral parallelogram.
ArizonaGuy

Post by ArizonaGuy »

HQM383 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:36 pmSimple Green
Diluted or straight?
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

ArizonaGuy wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:45 pm
HQM383 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:36 pmSimple Green
Diluted or straight?
Diluted. I go 5:1 and about 10 mins. Stop halfway and wipe/rinse off any loose carbon and put back in and continue timer.

Not heavily carboned but this

To this

I’m a Street/Strip guy..... like to think outside the quadrilateral parallelogram.
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

Wow is this a carburetor that you are running and you are getting exhaust carbon all the way up to the butterflies.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

I use ultrasonic cleaner and this stuff from Dollar General
https://www.dollargeneral.com/products/ ... 64-oz.html
I think just about anything that cleans will dull the finish if you leave it in too long. I get the solution warmed up and just keep an eye on it, just takes about 15 minutes to clean a carb, if it is not too grungy even faster. I cut it about 1/3 with water. Works great for cleaning small parts like bolts, valve springs etc. I usually rinse with water blow dry and if it has a little carbon on the plates left some spray carb cleaner usually takes it right off. I still like to spray all the passages with carb cleaner and air just to make sure. I find that spraying and blowing in the opposite direction the air and fluid normally travels works the best. If you blow the same direction, you just pack the dirt tighter.
DDON

Post by DDON »

original pine sol . 50/50 with water
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

I use Simple green in my ultrasonic's. i would love to fill the tank with solvents but consideration to safety holds me back.
What i have done with parts i want to clean with solvents is put them in zip lock bags then put enough solvent in the bag to cover the parts and then put that in the ultrasonic.
pcnsd
HotPass
HotPass

Post by pcnsd »

I use a variation of Simple Green. The original Simple Green reacts with aluminum and magnesium castings if given enough exposure. I have used it to darken castings at times.
https://simplegreen.com/industrial/prod ... n-cleaner/
- Paul
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

Do you mix with tap water or distilled? I have softened well water & it always leaves white spots of some kind.
Jim
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

Tap water is typically fine if your location has a municipal supply that is treated, regardless of its source, runoff, aquifer, desal etc. Local municipal suppliers can usually tell you what their output is rated to.

Wells can give anything from brine to sparkling low mineral water, even after softening is it possible there is some other chemical influence in the water? Do your next test with commercial de-mineralised water and see if the result is what you want. Also the inclusion of too high a concentration of detergent can give a salts residue.

Cheers.
Ron Miller
Pro
Pro

Post by Ron Miller »

What are you guys using for a ultrasonic cleaner? Make & model and size?
Thanks
Ron Miller
RW TECH
Guru
Guru

Post by RW TECH »

ArizonaGuy wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:06 pm Although Hoppes #9 does work pretty good 8)
That's what I use to clean cylinder bores after honing. Nothing works better IMHO.
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

RW TECH wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:50 pm
ArizonaGuy wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:06 pm Although Hoppes #9 does work pretty good 8)
That's what I use to clean cylinder bores after honing. Nothing works better IMHO.
at least it works on something. stuff is pretty much garbage for its intended useage.