Transmission?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

88bluestar
Pro
Pro
Transmission?

Post by 88bluestar »

Rules are automatic or standard, must be flywheel or converter that is of OEM size.
Looking for as little parasitic hp/tq loss to gain any advantage I can. I’ve used both powerglide(10” Hughes circle track converter, can not use that converter in this situation)and Saginaw 3 speed(78 corvette flywheel and clutch). What is oem converter size for a powerglide as well?
Which trans works better?
We have a 6200 rpm pill rule?
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Re: Transmission?

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

The Vega powerglide came with a 10" converter.
6 cylinder PG had a 11" converter. V8 was a 12" converter.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

vega converter will need to be tightened up.
So much to do, so little time...
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

What was in the S-10?
Kevin
88bluestar
Pro
Pro

Post by 88bluestar »

What size engine was in the Vega?
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

If you have to go with OEM style converter and are Looking for as little parasitic hp/tq loss as possible, a manual transmission is the only way to go. A stock OEM non lock up will always have around 10% slippage at least, and more if the converter is loosened for performance. Next question I would ask about the rules is what weight flywheel can I run? A lighter flywheel really makes an engine accelerate faster providing it has enough weight/inertia to get the vehicle going from a start. You said rules say OEM size, but what about weight?
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

A manual trans is the way to go for a whole host of reasons if the car is not being used at a drag strip.

Don’t even waste any time considering a auto trans!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

Don't even consider using a powerglide/circleglide/circlematic. You will be changing changing high clutches all the time. I have more experience with those turds than I care to admit. Costly AND maintenance prone.

Use the Saginaw 3 speed and run 10W30 Mobil 1 engine oil in it. Run the lightest clutch and flywheel that you can legally get away with. This is where weight really does matter. And you can practically pick up the trannys for free.
88bluestar
Pro
Pro

Post by 88bluestar »

Will be on the band, and likely a low stall converter, hopefully less than 2500 rpm
jsgarage
Expert
Expert

Post by jsgarage »

FWIW, I've broken stock 4 speed Saginaws with a pathetic stock 305 V-8. Once drove a near-new '82 Z-28 home 50 miles IN NEUTRAL when a gear welded itself to the mainshaft at an autocross, in a gearbox full of factory oil. Had to disassemble using a 20 ton press. The same gears and gearbox were used in the '66-up Corvair and some of them had gear trouble, too. Durability can be iffy.
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

Saginaw 3 speed and 4 speed are two entirely different beasts. The 3 speed is stronger and has been used in circle track cars for decades.