This engine is driving me crazy!!

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

1980RS
Guru
Guru
Re: This engine is driving me crazy!!

Post by 1980RS »

Did you make sure you really have 4-7 swapped? not trying to be mean or anything but my NHRA stocker friend did that at the track as he forgot about it. Car only ran 11.40's and they scratched their heads for a while, then realized that the 4-7 were not swapped. Car ran 10.70 after swapping the two wires. It happens.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

I keep a couple sets of cheap copper core plugs around as I have had multiple dead plugs in a set before. I have also seen a long time boat racer put his plugs on counter clockwise instead of clockwise. I also keep a cheap set of plug wires around as a sanity check as well. I have screwed up a bunch of stuff before in my
Life so I can’t list all the Things I have done so start thinking outside the box and you will find it.
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

learner1 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:51 pm Can't tell you why you're missing cylinders on the scope pattern but the high firing line is indicating several possibilities. One would be a high resistance, in this case since it's affecting all cylinders possibly a bad coil wire or an issue with the contact in the cap. Another is a large gap, for ex, the incorrect length of rotor which would give you a large gap between the rotor tip and the cap. It also could be caused by a lean mixture or perhaps a combination of these things. The spark line also indicates a lean mixture.
The high multiple firing lines are common MSD ignition patterns. Not sure what KV I had the scope set on. The KV setting will change thelength of the patterns. The main thing is I have 8 active fairly equal patterns, which tells me the box is firing the cylinders.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

1980RS wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:58 pm Did you make sure you really have 4-7 swapped? not trying to be mean or anything but my NHRA stocker friend did that at the track as he forgot about it. Car only ran 11.40's and they scratched their heads for a while, then realized that the 4-7 were not swapped. Car ran 10.70 after swapping the two wires. It happens.
Yes I have run into the 47 swap issue. One time the cam card said it was a 47 swap, engine was a little sour, but it was not a 47 swap the cam company made a mistake in the grind they put in the box.
roadrunner
Pro
Pro

Post by roadrunner »

Is there any chance that the he is using sewing machine oil in the engine, which could allow the lifters to bleed down too much? 2 flat lobes on the previous cam hint at light weight oil as a possibility. The only other thing I can think of is maybe check the distributor shaft end play for too much wear.
Life's too short to not run a supercharger!
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

PRH wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:21 pm I’d put a single carb intake on it with a “known good” carb before I pulled the cam out.

Did you check the duration @.006 on the cam?
Yer, may need some basics thrown at it.
s-l500 (1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

roadrunner wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:27 am Is there any chance that the he is using sewing machine oil in the engine, which could allow the lifters to bleed down too much? 2 flat lobes on the previous cam hint at light weight oil as a possibility. The only other thing I can think of is maybe check the distributor shaft end play for too much wear.
No it is on my dyno VR1 10w 30 racing oil, I even loosened the valve adjustment thinking the lifters were pumping up and holding the valves open.
BobbyB
Pro
Pro

Post by BobbyB »

Any news?
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

rebelrouser wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:39 pm The main thing is I have 8 active fairly equal patterns, which tells me the box is firing the cylinders.
LOOK AGAIN. You DO NOT have "fairly equal patterns".

Second from the right is a mess.

(Better photo(s) would be helpful.)
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

BobbyB wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:28 pmAny news?
I ordered a different camshaft will let everybody know after I get it installed.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

I think it is important that if you post a problem or question, you provide the results of how that worked out for the project. So you guys can laugh at me or with me, but the issue was it had oval port heads and a square port intake and the intake gaskets did not seal at the top of the ports for the intake. I knew it had a square port intake, and I used an aftermarket intake gasket that I thought would seal, but it only sealed on two ports, the ones that had the normal exhaust temps. Funny I thought it would have made enough noise at the leak that, I could have heard it, but it did not. The engine turned out well it made 546 ft lbs @ 4,250 and 511 HP @ 5500 The owner wanted peak torque at 4,500 to match his impeller on the boat, and it idles good at 800rpm so he can load on the trailer easy, so it worked out well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

rebelrouser wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:00 pm I think it is important that if you post a problem or question, you provide the results of how that worked out for the project.
Absolutely.
And happy to hear of a resolution.
Kevin
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

Glad to hear the issue was found. It just gives us all another place to look when our stuff has issues. Thanks for the report.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Good to hear it was resolved and that’s all that matters.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

So, what was the actual solution....... different gaskets?
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.