Blow by- bad honing?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Re: Blow by- bad honing?

Post by rebelyell »

Machtuck wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:39 pm CF, they were the o-ring type installed by machine shop. I am unsure of the size.
Ok, o will start taking measurements to assess the cylinder shape. The second ring is the only ring that has a dot. I placed this dot “up”. I never did look for a bevel in this ring. Bad on me. I can see how the second ring would almost pull the oil. And for the amount of oil that I discovered in every cylinder, it makes sense. I’m going to order another ring pack and compare the rings. I’m not questioning QC of Hastings, I’m questioning me; the hapless assembler. 😂😩
Too many of us are quick to believe we don't err.
Good on you for having an open mind; alive to possibility any fault (or faults) may lie with manufacturers, shops or yourself.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

rebelyell wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:56 pm
Machtuck wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:39 pm CF, they were the o-ring type installed by machine shop. I am unsure of the size.
Ok, o will start taking measurements to assess the cylinder shape. The second ring is the only ring that has a dot. I placed this dot “up”. I never did look for a bevel in this ring. Bad on me. I can see how the second ring would almost pull the oil. And for the amount of oil that I discovered in every cylinder, it makes sense. I’m going to order another ring pack and compare the rings. I’m not questioning QC of Hastings, I’m questioning me; the hapless assembler. 😂😩
Too many of us are quick to believe we don't err.
Good on you for having an open mind; alive to possibility any fault (or faults) may lie with manufacturers, shops or yourself.
Had a single oil ring from a Hastings ring set left over after my 1983 327 engine build, don't know if I missed putting it in or whether it was an extra. Motors still going fine. Been expecting bits of oil ring expander to come out in an oil change if there is indeed a ring missing.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
Machtuck

Post by Machtuck »

Thanks Rebel. I think that i had a laissez faire attitude towards this “ freshen up” because of its simplistic, basic nature of being a 120 hp inline 6.
It appears that it has bitten me in the butt. At least the cam break- in went well i guess.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

If parts are hard to find for your 194, You might start looking for a 250. Park the original 194 and enjoy the significant boost in power. That being said, My 64 Chevy II with a 194 got 30 mpg.
So much to do, so little time...
Machtuck

Post by Machtuck »

Yeah, it’s something that I’ve thought about however, I’m actually short on space for storing this numbers matchi
Machtuck

Post by Machtuck »

Matching engine and I’m not excited about breaking in another cam. But yes, would be a nice boost in power!
Machtuck

Post by Machtuck »

Update: so I really went through everything with detail. Unfortunately, I found that i did not clean the pistons as well as i should had. I used an awl to clean out the oil drain holes behind the oil ring packs. They were all about halfway plugged with crud. This is a lesson learned as i should had taken better care. The rings were all assembled correctly and clearances were all within spec. I’m thinking the combination of oil drains being clogged and the lack of adequate cylinder crosshatch lead to this unfortunate condition.
All of the information you all provided is again, much appreciated!
Machtuck

Post by Machtuck »

5D56A478-AD13-49C3-94EA-0D195CA0C01A.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Machtuck wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:40 pm Update: so I really went through everything with detail. Unfortunately, I found that i did not clean the pistons as well as i should had. I used an awl to clean out the oil drain holes behind the oil ring packs. They were all about halfway plugged with crud.
All of the information you all provided is again, much appreciated!
Oh.
allencr267
Pro
Pro

Post by allencr267 »

Machtuck wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:17 pm ... smoke when accelerating.
Lots of blowby ...compression test and all cylinders between 150-160.
Lots of oil in the intake under carburetor.
...curious if my “quick hone job” is the culprit
No, too many engines with no or a hand-job emery cloth/wetordry honing have worked well, with none of your symptoms.
Oil bath air cleaner over filled?
Good luck.
////
Also, pic of top & 2nd ring looks OK,with wear pattern in the center and the lower 1/4.
I don't know why or where they'd leak that badly unless all that grit was there & holding them off the lands.
Machtuck
Re: Blow by- bad honing? I found the culprit. Thank you Chevy Freak

Post by Machtuck »

Just wanted to update you all on what I found. If for anything; posterity. Seldom does anyone post the resolution. Anyways, i really appreciate all of your replies. I ended up pulling the engine back apart and doing a thorough hone job with appropriate flex hone. I had discovered that the oil return holes in pistons were still plugged with carbon crud. The return holes were cleaned and all rings and pistons checked for clearance issues. The .040 rings were not available so i reused the ones i had bought a few months earlier. Again, everything was checked in a meticulous fashion. After assembly and initial start up, I discovered that the engine still blew excessive amounts of blue smoke. On a hunch, i pulled the carb and looked in the intake. Sure enough, a puddle of oil. I decided to pull the spring assembly off of number one and inspect. The valve seal was absolutely mangled. All valve seals were mangled. I subsequently replaced all valve seals and inspected guides. So Chevy Freak was spot on correct. These seals are to be placed on the second grove after spring compression and the locks immobilize the seals. So apparently, the machine shop installed these seals incorrectly. The engine runs great and does not smoke at all. I did find that the rear main seal still leaks, even though I replaced it with a brand new one. The lip is facing the crank per the instructions. Not sure why it’s not sealing but it’s not a bad leak, just annoying. Thanks again guys.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Thanks for taking the time to up date us here, and very glad that it's now drivable for you!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru
Re: Blow by- bad honing? I found the culprit. Thank you Chevy Freak

Post by rebelrouser »

Machtuck wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:29 pm Just wanted to update you all on what I found. If for anything; posterity. Seldom does anyone post the resolution. Anyways, i really appreciate all of your replies. I ended up pulling the engine back apart and doing a thorough hone job with appropriate flex hone. I had discovered that the oil return holes in pistons were still plugged with carbon crud. The return holes were cleaned and all rings and pistons checked for clearance issues. The .040 rings were not available so i reused the ones i had bought a few months earlier. Again, everything was checked in a meticulous fashion. After assembly and initial start up, I discovered that the engine still blew excessive amounts of blue smoke. On a hunch, i pulled the carb and looked in the intake. Sure enough, a puddle of oil. I decided to pull the spring assembly off of number one and inspect. The valve seal was absolutely mangled. All valve seals were mangled. I subsequently replaced all valve seals and inspected guides. So Chevy Freak was spot on correct. These seals are to be placed on the second grove after spring compression and the locks immobilize the seals. So apparently, the machine shop installed these seals incorrectly. The engine runs great and does not smoke at all. I did find that the rear main seal still leaks, even though I replaced it with a brand new one. The lip is facing the crank per the instructions. Not sure why it’s not sealing but it’s not a bad leak, just annoying. Thanks again guys.
If they line bored the block, the rear main seal may not have enough pressure on the lip of the seal to work. You can use a thin zip tie behind the seal with a little silicone to hold it in place to fix that. FelPro makes a seal just for a SBC to fix this problem, it is made thicker and has shims with it to do the same thing.
Machtuck

Post by Machtuck »

That’s interesting. I’m not sure if it had been line bored but I’ve had two s-0629 seals in it which have both leaked. I’m tires of bending over this thing so i think I’m going put up with it for a while. Thanks for the info.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Two things, valve stem seals aren't a cause of blowby, just oil consumption and a smoky exhaust, mostly after deccel then picking up the throttle, so your blocked oil ring grovves are more likely culprits for overwhelming the rings with oil, not to mention the hone not touching the bore at the most important point.
Any chance your crank had a groove from the seal lip ? I've never had a 2 piece seal leak but it's easy to imagine how they would.