Blow by- bad honing?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rgalajda
Pro
Pro

Re: Blow by- bad honing?

Post by rgalajda »

RW TECH wrote: do about 10 strokes forward, then about five strokes backwards.

Can you elaborate what you mean by this. Never heard of this before.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Blow by- bad honing?

The hone hasn't touched the critical area, that's bore wear.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

When a cast ring won't seat the world is upside down.
Machine honed is the best but... a gazillion re-rings have been done without machines and sometimes without any honing at all (gasp).
pretty shallow cross hatch showing.
You would be better off with a brush (dingleberry ) hone. Followed by extreme cleaning.
This will likely be the strangest thing you hear in today's world....or not. You may want to use a plain old straight weight oil. At least at first (gasp).
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
Hrdlx62
Pro
Pro

Post by Hrdlx62 »

Don't laugh.........too hard, but find a shop with an old piston knurler and snug em up. Hone the block correctly and fit the pistons. Not Ideal but could be an option.
naukkis79
Pro
Pro

Post by naukkis79 »

If three-peace oil ring is assembled wrongly it will stick to it's groove. Sealing rings have to assembled on top of spacer. Pretty common mistake to install them wrongly.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

rgalajda wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:10 am " I’m curious if my “quick hone job” is the culprit and would an inadequate hone job cause this much oil to get in the combustion chambers?? Maybe glazed cylinders?? If i could find .060 pistons, i would get it bored and do it right. Should i take it and get it honed at the shop? Any input is much appreciated."

Tom68
"That's not really honed, have you measured the bores ?
You need it machine honed, but only if your pistons can handle the extra clearance."

Tom68 is correct.
Sometimes " a picture is worth a thousand words " and it shows. If your not experienced with running a hone do get a proper deglaze and cross hatch pattern the end result will be a waste of time and money spent.
Take it to reputable machine shop and have everything checked out. Exceptable piston to bore clearance is about .0025" on these motors.
As others have said I don't see a correct crosshatch pattern, the angle of the crosshatch is controlled by the speed you stroke the drill while honing. A standard drill actually spins a little fast, so you have to stroke the drill fairly quickly to get a proper pattern. if the pattern is too flat as it appears in the picture then the cylinder walls will hold too much oil. If the pattern is too steep it does not hold enough oil, it has to be just right. Quick picture on what it should look like.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Machtuck

Post by Machtuck »

Thanks again for the advice guys. Thanks for the picture. I’m going to take the block in and have the machine shop hone it.
chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Post by chevyfreak »

I know it was mentioned valves and seats being done.
What type valve stem seals?

Chevyfreak.
Bowtie for life
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

Machtuck wrote:I’m going to take the block in and have the machine shop hone it

In all probability there's one of two things happening here, or maybe a combination of both

While sour bores will give oil burning by not letting the rings bed, a worn second ring groove will actually pump oil up the cylinder, overwhelming the top ring

After, or maybe before, you've had it honed I'd get in there with a bore gauge and take multiple measurements around each cylinder checking for taper and ovality regardless ...... no need to use a tenths gauge, one reading thous will be enough with what you're doing

And I'd also go over the piston ring grooves with a fine tooth comb, paying particular attention to the shape of the second ring groove ....... although it's often referred to as the second compression ring, it's mostly best described an auxiliary oil scraper
Machtuck

Post by Machtuck »

CF, they were the o-ring type installed by machine shop. I am unsure of the size.
Ok, o will start taking measurements to assess the cylinder shape. The second ring is the only ring that has a dot. I placed this dot “up”. I never did look for a bevel in this ring. Bad on me. I can see how the second ring would almost pull the oil. And for the amount of oil that I discovered in every cylinder, it makes sense. I’m going to order another ring pack and compare the rings. I’m not questioning QC of Hastings, I’m questioning me; the hapless assembler. 😂😩
chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Post by chevyfreak »

Machtuck wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:39 pm CF, they were the o-ring type installed by machine shop. I am unsure of the size.

Reason i'm asking is it could be the cause of the oil in the intake. One of those cases of ask me how i know :lol:

Many shops gets the correct way of assembly wrong.
Look inside the spring, if the seals is on the stems or maybe even split open. Worth a check.

Correct way of assembly is spring with oil shield and retainer, compressed, then the seal fit into lower groove, then the locks onto stem and release the spring. The seal is now squeezed to seal in the lower section of retainer. And sealing oil running down the stem. Seal will last until disassembly. It cant move.
Oil shield controls splashing onto stem for lubrication. It will give a little smoke when cold, but as a driver you wont see it in your mirror.

Some pics included.

Chevyfreak.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bowtie for life
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

IMO the cross hatch was honed with too coarse of a stone. Sorry you had to pull it back out.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

If you did not with your used cylinders set your ring gap at the bottom of the bore where the ware is the least, then your gap may be too small and you have butted the rings up and bent them, or worse yet bust some.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

https://youtu.be/eUEtlGllJyQ Check out this video it’s at Gregg Anderson race shop honing a block with explanation of why engines don’t seal
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

https://youtu.be/r-q0orDQXFU Are maybe you might check into this situation.