Tube-type shooters

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ArizonaGuy

Tube-type shooters

Post by ArizonaGuy »

I see these on little Holley 80457s, but I usually don’t see them on bigger bore Holley carburetors. Why is that?
1980RS
Guru
Guru
Re: Tube-type shooters

Post by 1980RS »

Sometimes they have fuel pullover. My buddy has a bunch of little springs form someone that he put's under the squirter screw to keep the check valve in place. The figured it out with some video on a dyno test.
rgalajda
Pro
Pro

Post by rgalajda »

80457 holley carbs usually have .031" nozzle . If yours has the tube type nozzle , I don't believe they are original to the carb. I am not aware that Holley ever used tube type nozzles from the factory. Tube type nozzles are not considered as anti-pullover.

Tube Type nozzle. Directs the stream slightly different towards the booster. Some consider this to be a benefit , atomizing the fuel. I have never noticed any difference, or the need for.

Anti-Pullover nozzles were used on holley 4165 and 4175 spread bore carbs. The front venturi on these carbs were very small , producing a strong signal,

If you are having signs of pull-over, I would inspect the needle is not damaged/improper. Also the seat the needle sits on could be damaged/corroded. The seat can be cleaned/reformed using an appropriate sized check ball tapped on to it. If the needle and seat for the discharge nozzle is leaking badly , fuel can run back and cause a hesitation / or possibly pullover.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rgalajda
Pro
Pro

Post by rgalajda »

I should have mentioned the spread bore holley has a check ball in the metering block accelerator pump passage . If you shake the metering block , you should be able to here the check ball rattle. These metering blocks say "Casting Made In Japan" and have the Transfer Tube. They don't use a check needle under the discharge nozzle. That check ball does not have the wait of the check needle further requiring an anti-pullover nozzle.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

rgalajda wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:11 am I should have mentioned the spread bore holley has a check ball in the metering block accelerator pump passage . If you shake the metering block , you should be able to here the check ball rattle. These metering blocks say "Casting Made In Japan" and have the Transfer Tube. They don't use a check needle under the discharge nozzle. That check ball does not have the wait of the check needle further requiring an anti-pullover nozzle.
What a coincidence. I am doing a spread bore for a friend and have been trying to figure out for a week why there is no check valve under the squirters. I have called and e-mailed Holley 3 times with no response. Thanks for posting this !!!!!! Just curious how you found this out ? Now I can put this thing back together !!
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Several youtube videos of pullover from discharge nozzles online now, recently had it with a Edelbrock made Holley 94 on an 8BA flathead, should have video'd it, brand new carb, no accel pump discharge needle installed. :roll:
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
rgalajda
Pro
Pro

Post by rgalajda »

Tom68 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:53 am Several youtube videos of pullover from discharge nozzles online now, recently had it with a Edelbrock made Holley 94 on an 8BA flathead, should have video'd it, brand new carb, no accel pump discharge needle installed. :roll:
Your saying the discharge needle was missing/should have been installed ? The discharge needle installed fixed it ?
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

The tube type shooters tend to pull-over fuel if the air velocity near them gets to fast.
Sometimes that is a good idea but, sometimes a weighted needle under them can be a good idea, too.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
rgalajda
Pro
Pro

Post by rgalajda »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:06 pm The tube type shooters tend to pull-over fuel if the air velocity near them gets to fast.
Sometimes that is a good idea but, sometimes a weighted needle under them can be a good idea, too.
By " weighted needle " are you referring to the standard discharge needle that it should have ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rgalajda
Pro
Pro

Post by rgalajda »

BillK wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:28 am
rgalajda wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:11 am I should have mentioned the spread bore holley has a check ball in the metering block accelerator pump passage . If you shake the metering block , you should be able to here the check ball rattle. These metering blocks say "Casting Made In Japan" and have the Transfer Tube. They don't use a check needle under the discharge nozzle. That check ball does not have the wait of the check needle further requiring an anti-pullover nozzle.
What a coincidence. I am doing a spread bore for a friend and have been trying to figure out for a week why there is no check valve under the squirters. I have called and e-mailed Holley 3 times with no response. Thanks for posting this !!!!!! Just curious how you found this out ? Now I can put this thing back together !!

The first one I restored didn't have one , the metering block rattled, and its not in the diagram or parts list. Also could not see a seat in the main body for one.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

rgalajda wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:54 pm
Tom68 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:53 am Several youtube videos of pullover from discharge nozzles online now, recently had it with a Edelbrock made Holley 94 on an 8BA flathead, should have video'd it, brand new carb, no accel pump discharge needle installed. :roll:
Your saying the discharge needle was missing/should have been installed ? The discharge needle installed fixed it ?
Came without one, mate pulled one out of an original Holley, dropped it in, fixed.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

rgalajda wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:24 pm
Walter R. Malik wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:06 pm The tube type shooters tend to pull-over fuel if the air velocity near them gets to fast.
By " weighted needle " are you referring to the standard discharge needle that it should have ?
Drill the center of the needle and add some lead ... or make some from mallory.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

rgalajda wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:29 pm
BillK wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:28 am

The first one I restored didn't have one , the metering block rattled, and its not in the diagram or parts list. Also could not see a seat in the main body for one.
If the metering block rattles then there is probably a pump check ball inside and carbs with those blocks don't have needles under the squitters. They use "Anti pull-over" pump nozzles.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

AVS Carter carbs used from 1968 -1971 on Chrys V8s had anti pullover acc pump nozzles. Not sure if the earlier AFBs had them.
rgalajda
Pro
Pro

Post by rgalajda »

"Drill the center of the needle and add some lead ... or make some from mallory."

That sounds like a ridiculous answer to a non problem.