Tube-type shooters

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

In-Tech
Vendor

Re: Tube-type shooters

Post by In-Tech »

Sean has a spring loaded machined shooter screw that stops all the pullover. You'll have to call and see if he will sell it to you. It's not on the website that I have seen. I usually order them 10 at a time for inventory on the occasional problems. He's an incredibly good guy and to me, the king of electronic Quadrajets, separate conversation.
https://www.smicarburetor.com/
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
rgalajda
Pro
Pro

Post by rgalajda »

In-Tech wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:59 am Sean has a spring loaded machined shooter screw that stops all the pullover. You'll have to call and see if he will sell it to you. It's not on the website that I have seen. I usually order them 10 at a time for inventory on the occasional problems. He's an incredibly good guy and to me, the king of electronic Quadrajets, separate conversation.
Are you saying that you have had problems with " pullover " ? If so can you elaborate how you determined this and with which style of discharge nozzle? Does venturi size come into play ? I assume it is only at higher rpm.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

rgalajda wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:58 am
In-Tech wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:59 am Sean has a spring loaded machined shooter screw that stops all the pullover. You'll have to call and see if he will sell it to you. It's not on the website that I have seen. I usually order them 10 at a time for inventory on the occasional problems. He's an incredibly good guy and to me, the king of electronic Quadrajets, separate conversation.
Are you saying that you have had problems with " pullover " ? If so can you elaborate how you determined this and with which style of discharge nozzle? Does venturi size come into play ? I assume it is only at higher rpm.
Hiya,
I first noticed all of this from a visual point looking down to see how different circuits would "come in"

I'd love to spend a multi level document explaining what I have noticed.

Test Test Test to know for sure. That is ONE affect, think about cross-secconial area with all of the air bleeds in the main body and the angle of the entry point.

https://www.princeton.edu/~asmits/Bicyc ... oulli.html
-Carl
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

rgalajda wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:17 am

That sounds like a ridiculous answer to a non problem.
Say what now ? If you aren't getting pull over you don't have a problem to fix, it does happen with some combos, it doesn't necessarily need high load and airflow, Ive recently witnessed it with two witnesses free revving a pissant Flathead.

I think a spring loaded needle valve would be an excellent fix, failing that, a weighted needle would be better than pissing fuel down the venturis.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Accel pump pull over is best addressed by repositioning the pump circuit bleed from the pump well in the bowl to the metering block above the fuel level.
ArizonaGuy

Post by ArizonaGuy »

Good stuff fellas. Thanks as always 8)
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

rgalajda wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:17 am "Drill the center of the needle and add some lead ... or make some from mallory."

That sounds like a ridiculous answer to a non problem.
It was an answer to your ridiculous question so, it surely must have been ridiculous ... LOL.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Warp Speed wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:07 am Accel pump pull over is best addressed by repositioning the pump circuit bleed from the pump well in the bowl to the metering block above the fuel level.
yes, forgot to mention, a small air bleed drilled in the AE of the metering block will fix most pullover problems.
-Carl
rgalajda
Pro
Pro

Post by rgalajda »

ArizonaGuy wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:53 pm I see these on little Holley 80457s, but I usually don’t see them on bigger bore Holley carburetors. Why is that?
The original question referred to holley 4 barrel carburetors, in particular 80457 holley which is a 600 cfm holley.

I answered the question in the first line of my post stating they would not have been original to the carb. I then explained the 3 types of discharge nozzles .

The subject was 4 barrel holley carburetors , so if you were having problems with pull over using tube type discharge nozzles ,the obvious answer would be , don't use them. They didn't install them at the factory .

If you you want to talk about other styles of holley carbs or situations , then make that clear.
And don't misquote me as happened in your last post .
ArizonaGuy

Post by ArizonaGuy »

rgalajda wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:24 am
ArizonaGuy wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:53 pm I see these on little Holley 80457s, but I usually don’t see them on bigger bore Holley carburetors. Why is that?
If you you want to talk about other styles of holley carbs or situations , then make that clear.
And don't misquote me as happened in your last post .

I didn’t quote you. I’m going to let that^ slide as a simple mistake.