Moderator: Team

Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Remote mech waterpump? Obtainable?

Post by Caprimaniac »

Just posted this in wrong, o reposting here:

Hi!
As trying to get rid of things that draw a current, I’ like to switch my Meziere for a mech pump.
Thing is- I have no room for a stock type pump on the 302- block. The Meziere is placed low on the inner fender, and this setup had worked good. Although some years old, and suspect it needs some attention soon…
I’ve never seen a remote mech water pump… Oil and fuel, yes…. Would be neat tp tie a pump to skirt of block like one of those oil pumps. But do they exist?
How to turn GURU in an instant.....
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Re: Remote mech waterpump? Obtainable?

Post by swampbuggy »

Capr. I don't know if you have room to do this or if it would meet your needs ? I have done this in the past and it worked great. The reason i did this was to uncover the Jesel Belt Drive system. So what i did was ( facing the front ) of the engine, the Right ( driver side ) leg of the water pump is moved to the Left ( passenger ) side of the Block. I mounted an aluminum Plate between the Block and the water pump 1/2 " thick to strengthen and stabilize everything this was on the passenger side. The plate also gives you something to drill and tap for a male 37 Deg. fitting and run a -16 line back to the Drivers side of the Block water input port / hole. This set up requires a longer belt or belts, but you can find something that will work . Do you understand what i did ? Mark H .
Racer71
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer71 »

We used to use a small one that ran essentially an oring for a drive off the axle on shifter karts in the run what ya brung class on dirt. Had two I believe 5/8” barbs and a small pulley that literally used a big o-ring for a drive off the axle, no guide or anything in the axle, only the pulley on the pump. I wonder if you use a cable drive setup like the newer fuel pumps that are driven off of a cam drive.
MetricMuscle

Post by MetricMuscle »

Some boats with inboard engines use a water pump like you are looking for to circulate raw water from what you are floating in to the engine or a heat exchanger. Sometimes located in place of where a power steering pump would reside or in front of the crank pulley. Quite a few different designs, rebuild kits easily available etc. Search for Mercruiser raw water pump or if in Norway, Volvo Penta raw water pump.
Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Post by Caprimaniac »

Plenty of ideas; thank you guys. Will look into all suggestions. Also, I know Ford Racing is offering a "short" water pump. If I'm lucky, it can be fitted- but doubt so, really.

Thanks again.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

A "marine" water pump is likely a rubber-vane style, unsuitable for pumping hot water from a coolant radiator. At least, those are the ones I'm familiar with.

Most (not all) marine engines pump cold water into the exhaust manifold(s) for pre-heating, then to the engine. The water going through the rubber pump vanes is whatever temperature the lake or river or ocean is.

Being a positive-displacement pump, they won't tolerate a typical automotive thermostat which dead-heads the pump. There are marine thermostat housings that provide a pressure relief while using a normal (Robertshaw) automotive thermostat. Likely unsuitable for your application.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Pretty easy modify an existing housing pump assembly and hang it off to one side.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Post by Caprimaniac »

Yes, avoiding rubber vanes.
I think Tom’s suggestion is good, too.I’ll Look for a pump that’s suitable in shape, both for space avail and eeze of installing a backplate/ plumbing…
Dave Flanders

Post by Dave Flanders »

I've been using a Ford Taurus water pump on the side of my Pinto 2.3 motor for years. Just bolts to a plate hanging off the side and driven off the crank. They are small, light, easy to rig up a mount for and they flow well over 75 gpm at 30 psi. Won't cavitate at up to 10k pump rpm either. First heard about them from a Bonneville racer back in the 80's.
Flanders Racing - bringing you yesterday's technology today!
Hrdlx62
Pro
Pro

Post by Hrdlx62 »

Dave Flanders wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:21 pm I've been using a Ford Taurus water pump on the side of my Pinto 2.3 motor for years. Just bolts to a plate hanging off the side and driven off the crank. They are small, light, easy to rig up a mount for and they flow well over 75 gpm at 30 psi. Won't cavitate at up to 10k pump rpm either. First heard about them from a Bonneville racer back in the 80's.
Interesting, do you have a part number or application for this water pump?
Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Post by Caprimaniac »

Dave Flanders wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:21 pm I've been using a Ford Taurus water pump on the side of my Pinto 2.3 motor for years. Just bolts to a plate hanging off the side and driven off the crank. They are small, light, easy to rig up a mount for and they flow well over 75 gpm at 30 psi. Won't cavitate at up to 10k pump rpm either. First heard about them from a Bonneville racer back in the 80's.
If its a newer Taurus, that's a 3.5 V6 engine water pump, right? I looked that pump up; it's quite large? Do you use it as is, or cut down the front cover, to a smaller size?

75 GPM sounds good for a V8. My current Meziere is 45 GPM, as far as I can remember.
Dave Flanders

Post by Dave Flanders »

Caprimaniac wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:37 pm
If its a newer Taurus, that's a 3.5 V6 engine water pump, right? I looked that pump up; it's quite large? Do you use it as is, or cut down the front cover, to a smaller size?

75 GPM sounds good for a V8. My current Meziere is 45 GPM, as far as I can remember.
The application is a 1990 Ford Taurus with the 2.5 4 cyl.

It's not very large at all, maybe 6" dia. The 75 gpm might even be low, it's been a lot of years since I had it tested. I have a friend who built a water pump dyno and he tested it and was quite impressed. The difference between the Taurus and the Meziere would be huge - those electric pumps lose a ton of flow when working against any pressure, the Taurus was flowed at a true 30 psi pressure.
Flanders Racing - bringing you yesterday's technology today!
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Caprimaniac wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:26 am Just posted this in wrong, o reposting here:

Hi!
As trying to get rid of things that draw a current, I’ like to switch my Meziere for a mech pump.
Thing is- I have no room for a stock type pump on the 302- block. The Meziere is placed low on the inner fender, and this setup had worked good. Although some years old, and suspect it needs some attention soon…
I’ve never seen a remote mech water pump… Oil and fuel, yes…. Would be neat tp tie a pump to skirt of block like one of those oil pumps. But do they exist?
You have never said in this thread or the other one what you intend to do this for.
Drag racing where it doesn't need to be on full time OR full time street driving?
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Post by Caprimaniac »

Dave, you are right- I did ‘t mention, and it’s an important matter. The car will be street driven. Not daily.

OK- the 2,5 Taurus- engine- thank you. I only looked at the 3,5, so I’ll check out the 2,5,,,
chimpvalet
Pro
Pro

Post by chimpvalet »

Dave Flanders wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:08 pm
Caprimaniac wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:37 pm
those electric pumps lose a ton of flow when working against any pressure, the Taurus was flowed at a true 30 psi pressure.

Curious what exactly is meant here by " 30 psi "? My understanding of this is that high overall system pressure, which is conducive to suppressing boiling and cavitation, results from what sort of cap relief pressure is used. Do we expect 30psi pressure head as additive to general system pressure from a non-positive displacement pump?

Steve