Comp Cams Factory Tour & Behind The Scenes: How Does a Performance Camshaft Get Made?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

65-fastford

Comp Cams Factory Tour & Behind The Scenes: How Does a Performance Camshaft Get Made?

Post by 65-fastford »

skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Comp Cams Factory Tour & Behind The Scenes: How Does a Performance Camshaft Get Made?

Post by skinny z »

The most interesting that is it's in the U.S.
Still.
There was some speculation that after COMP was acquired buy the private equity group Industrial Opportunity Partners, that the manufacturing may be moved offshore.
Kevin
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Comp Cams Factory Tour & Behind The Scenes: How Does a Performance Camshaft Get Made?

Post by hoffman900 »

skinny z wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:56 pm The most interesting that is it's in the U.S.
Still.
There was some speculation that after COMP was acquired buy the private equity group Industrial Opportunity Partners, that the manufacturing may be moved offshore.
Manufacturing will stay here or come back with increasing automation. With those machines, Comp is able to get 60+ camshafts out of one operator in one working shift / worker vs the 6-8 they did previously, and with better quality.

Jobs that are at risk of offshoring are labor intensive jobs, everything else automation would be the risk. I think COMP keeps there operations here. The hard part is now automated, I can’t imagine COMP pays their workers that great, and the rest of it is mostly warehousing work which you would need anyway.

Edit: looked at glassdoor. Pay isn’t great and you start off with three days of vacation / year. Ouch.
-Bob
65-fastford

Post by 65-fastford »

Low wages for Missisippi ?
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

I'll have to check that out.
I'm involved with three manufacturing facilities with about 100 CNC machines and an equal number of operators. Some are journeyman machinists, others are CNC operators and there's a difference in wage for sure. But company policy keeps me from knowing who earns what.
Kevin
nhrastocker
Expert
Expert

Post by nhrastocker »

65-fastford wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:24 am Low wages for Missisippi ?
It depends on the job.
I oversee and manage a Quality and Engineering organization for one of the largest military equipment suppliers in the USA.
All products we provide are made in the USA and can only be shipped through US-based carriers.
We just opened an 80K sqft distribution center in Olive Branch, Mississippi.
It is not about the low wages. It is difficult to find skilled people for certain positions and when I find them, I compensate them above the market pay schedule for the area.
There are many reasons why many companies are moving to the area:
  • State incentives.
  • Close to the main FedEx and UPS Memphis hub.
  • Many transportation options by air, rail, truck, and ocean.
  • Lower operational costs.
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

nhrastocker wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:29 am
It depends on the job.
I oversee and manage a Quality and Engineering organization for one of the largest military equipment suppliers in the USA.
All products we provide are made in the USA and can only be shipped through US-based carriers.
We just opened an 80K sqft distribution center in Olive Branch, Mississippi.
It is not about the low wages. It is difficult to find skilled people for certain positions and when I find them, I compensate them above the market pay schedule for the area.
There are many reasons why many companies are moving to the area:
  • State incentives.
  • Close to the main FedEx and UPS Memphis hub.
  • Many transportation options by air, rail, truck, and ocean.
  • Lower operational costs.
In addition to a Distribution Center, Does your company Manufacture in/near Olive Branch ?
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Housing may be less, but a car, health care, clothes, energy costs, food, etc all cost about the same everywhere.

A $50k F150 in NJ is a $50k F150 in Mississippi…
-Bob
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

aside from the F150
quality of life --- demographics --- price at pump --- legal climate--- grits & groceries --- taxation ---All can & frequently do vary significantly per location.
Also, Olive Branch, while firmly within the Memphis Statistical Area, is not in Tennessee. Perhaps strength of organized labor in its slightly northerly neighbor (as opposed to relative lack thereof in Olive Branch MS) --- just adds to Olive Branch's appeal for large blue-collar employers?
That's typically been a real consideration for companies which locate / relocate.
Super_Stock

Post by Super_Stock »

hoffman900 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:45 am
Edit: looked at glassdoor. Pay isn’t great and you start off with three days of vacation / year. Ouch.
Dark ages.. No wonder people lose their shit..
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

Is it true that Billy Godbold has left Comp Cams and started his own company :?:
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

bob460 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:22 pm Is it true that Billy Godbold has left Comp Cams and started his own company :?:
If he did, you’re the first to say this as all his social media still has him at Comp. I chat with him on occasion and could message him, but I’m not going to bother him based on rumors.
-Bob
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

hoffman900 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:58 pm
bob460 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:22 pm Is it true that Billy Godbold has left Comp Cams and started his own company :?:
If he did, you’re the first to say this as all his social media still has him at Comp. I chat with him on occasion and could message him, but I’m not going to bother him based on rumors.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/billy-godbold-09562961
blykins
Guru
Guru

Post by blykins »

He did leave. He still has an "office" at Comp from what I'm told, but has left to pursue other interests.
Lykins Motorsports
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
Custom Ford Windsor, Cleveland, and FE Street/Race Engines
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Could Billy possibly show up at a different Performance Camshaft manufacturer ? Time will tell. We have seen this over and over where a seasoned person who knows their stuff ends up at the competition's ( no pun intended ) place of business . Mark H.