Hard Chrome Plating Main Bore Repair

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

MotorMouth93

Re: Hard Chrome Plating Main Bore Repair

Post by MotorMouth93 »

I got the block back from the plating company. Looks like some caustic chemicals were involved based on the corrosion in the block and bores so good thing this block is going to the shop for deck surfacing and honing in addition to the line bore operation. The shop that did the sleeves left them stepped up which I don't want and my pistons need another half thou clearance or so. I was thinking I'd just have them set up the line bore based on the oil pump?
IMG_5603.jpg
IMG_5602.jpg
IMG_5589.jpg
IMG_5588.jpg
IMG_5587.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

MotorMouth93 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:43 pm I got the block back from the plating company. Looks like some caustic chemicals were involved based on the corrosion in the block and bores so good thing this block is going to the shop for deck surfacing and honing in addition to the line bore operation. The shop that did the sleeves left them stepped up which I don't want and my pistons need another half thou clearance or so. I was thinking I'd just have them set up the line bore based on the oil pump?

IMG_5603.jpg

IMG_5602.jpg

IMG_5589.jpg

IMG_5588.jpg

IMG_5587.jpg
as someone who copper plated for a few years, ill just say pretty much any kind of plating process involves very nasty chemicals.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

I don't know why your telling us about all your head gasket problems. You are the engine designer. Figure it out or don't. Or ask a question.
The oil pump is a good question tho. If it it lined up in the first place then yes, if not, then no. If in doubt, fix it later, it's EASY to fix.
The transmission alignment MAY not be so easy to fix so sorry I don't know, would have to look at the transmission and make an educated guess.
It might have a main seal there, to keep the oil in. Might be lined up or it might not, same thing. If the caps fit in the registers then I'd start there, then check deck, then check front and rear seal. or go back to the blueprint.