Camshaft lobe design by Billy Godbold

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

LotusElise

Re: Camshaft lobe design by Billy Godbold

Post by LotusElise »

juuhanaa wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:11 am I dont understand why we have plastic hammers in my daily job. I often take a copper one, and i hold it from end of the stem. My colleagues think im nut.
The Copper-Berilium valve seat do not only have a great heat transfer coefficient material-wise but also have better valve bounce calm property then most of the steel alloys, which may can make a slight difference at very high seating speeds.

Once I calculated the contact force of the spring force driven roller finger follower and the cam lobe I saw how sensitive it is regarding acceleration and even to acceleration changes, reflecting the 3rd deviation of the valve lift over time. Cam design and design of alternation of load as well as combustion design process should walk hand in hand for an improved output. SW-wise I didn't approach it for now, as it is very complex if you go into an abstraction of the spring damper system of the valvetrain, while the kinematic is easy stuff, the dynamic stuff is challenging but necessary to build it up right once you design the cam. From a standpoint of alternation of load and combustion process design cam demand specification is quite easy, just a collection and synthesis of polynomial functions (2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th if necessary). But the link to the cam design is a long way to go. Buying a SW package to that is quite expensive. G.P. Blair and Associates did some nice, but too expensive for me as long as I find cams in the aftermarket for my purpose.
DAMPFHAMMER engine:
2000 ccm, Honda K20 NA engine
4000 rpm bandwidth of at least 192 ftlb
310 hp@8200 rpm
juuhanaa
HotPass
HotPass

Post by juuhanaa »

LotusElise wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:53 am
juuhanaa wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:11 am I dont understand why we have plastic hammers in my daily job. I often take a copper one, and i hold it from end of the stem. My colleagues think im nut.
The Copper-Berilium valve seat do not only have a great heat transfer coefficient material-wise but also have better valve bounce calm property then most of the steel alloys, which may can make a slight difference at very high seating speeds.

Once I calculated the contact force of the spring force driven roller finger follower and the cam lobe I saw how sensitive it is regarding acceleration and even to acceleration changes, reflecting the 3rd deviation of the valve lift over time. Cam design and design of alternation of load as well as combustion design process should walk hand in hand for an improved output. SW-wise I didn't approach it for now, as it is very complex if you go into an abstraction of the spring damper system of the valvetrain, while the kinematic is easy stuff, the dynamic stuff is challenging but necessary to build it up right once you design the cam. From a standpoint of alternation of load and combustion process design cam demand specification is quite easy, just a collection and synthesis of polynomial functions (2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th if necessary). But the link to the cam design is a long way to go. Buying a SW package to that is quite expensive. G.P. Blair and Associates did some nice, but too expensive for me as long as I find cams in the aftermarket for my purpose.
Right.

I realized it works both directions and, if im going to reduce duration from OEM, then it's going to be harder to get it settled using same amount of lift. I picked some alloy and my collaugue helped measuring the conductivity. I dont know does it help with iron stuff other than bounce thing.. 24,9 ICAO, if i remember right says i shouldn't eat that stuff, but it could make for a good hammer :D

Poteroiden mitat ilmotettu tussimerkinnällä-1.jpg
Johtavuusmittaus tehty kupareille.jpg
Venttiilikoneisto 1.JPG
G.P. Blair
I recognized the name, but i am just in process reading his book. :oops:
as I find cams in the aftermarket for my purpose.
David says something like competitors need to catch up the OEMs. I have run OEM camshaft :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A balanced person dares to stagger, and modify ports bigger
LotusElise

Post by LotusElise »

juuhanaa wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:05 amI picked some alloy and my collaugue helped measuring the conductivity.
Very nice :). You call yourself a hobbyist? That is top level hobbyist which is not achieved by quite a few professional. I've done this for my doctoral thesis, measuring and validating heat fluxes to calculate heat transfer coefficients for Carbon Capture power plants, specifically Oxyfuel Processes (condensation of steam in steam-inert gas systems). Anyway, measuring the heat conductance coefficient is already a challenging task, depending on the approach one uses.
juuhanaa wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:05 amICAO, if i remember right[/b] says i shouldn't eat that stuff, but it could make for a good hammer :D
If Beryllium is the one you mean, it is highly toxic when contacting it in a greater surface appearance (dust, solution with it or vapours of it). The immune system overreacts on it, which makes it dangerous. Don't inhale it during cutting. Touching a ring of it doesn't lead overreactions. The Copper profits from the manifold ways from the Beryllium ingredients, for valve seats I assume it is the bigger E-Modul, stiffen the ring material.
juuhanaa wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:05 amI recognized the name, but i am just in process reading his book.
Which one are you reading actually?
DAMPFHAMMER engine:
2000 ccm, Honda K20 NA engine
4000 rpm bandwidth of at least 192 ftlb
310 hp@8200 rpm
juuhanaa
HotPass
HotPass

Post by juuhanaa »

LotusElise wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:50 am
juuhanaa wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:05 amI picked some alloy and my collaugue helped measuring the conductivity.
Very nice :). You call yourself a hobbyist? That is top level hobbyist which is not achieved by quite a few professional. I've done this for my doctoral thesis, measuring and validating heat fluxes to calculate heat transfer coefficients for Carbon Capture power plants, specifically Oxyfuel Processes (condensation of steam in steam-inert gas systems). Anyway, measuring the heat conductance coefficient is already a challenging task, depending on the approach one uses.
juuhanaa wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:05 amICAO, if i remember right[/b] says i shouldn't eat that stuff, but it could make for a good hammer :D
If Beryllium is the one you mean, it is highly toxic when contacting it in a greater surface appearance (dust, solution with it or vapours of it). The immune system overreacts on it, which makes it dangerous. Don't inhale it during cutting. Touching a ring of it doesn't lead overreactions. The Copper profits from the manifold ways from the Beryllium ingredients, for valve seats I assume it is the bigger E-Modul, stiffen the ring material.
juuhanaa wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:05 amI recognized the name, but i am just in process reading his book.
Which one are you reading actually?
Thanks for your kind words and sorry i messed up again.. I mean my buddy measured electrical conductivity and that way i checked value matched specific material that the seller informed me about. We didnt measure for example hardness nor anything else.. I am just a mechanick and having troubles reading design and simulation of four-stroke engines.

thanks,

-juhana
A balanced person dares to stagger, and modify ports bigger