Running oil cooler in scavenge return line

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

navseng

Running oil cooler in scavenge return line

Post by navseng »

Would there be any issues with running my oil cooler inline with my scavenge return line? For packaging issues, this will simplify plumbing and save me 20+feet of hose.
My only concern was a restriction, but does it even make a difference wether its on the scav side or the pressure side?
In-Tech
Vendor

Re: Running oil cooler in scavenge return line

Post by In-Tech »

Hiya,
I've never tried it but in my mind, you are pulling the oil off of the cooling "area" instead of pressure making better contact to the lines and fins that do the "transfer" affect.
Just my opinion :)
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
panic
Guru
Guru

Post by panic »

Return oil also has entrained air and blowby gasses, reduces heat transfer.
navseng

Post by navseng »

Ok... Sounds like that may not be the best spot for it..

I am just trying to weigh options here. Debating on moving the radiator to the back of a road race car. Current setup is a heat exchanger oil cooler in the radiator.. I like using this setup, but with the radiator in the back, I am not sure it makes any sense to pump oil pressurized oil all the way to the radiator, (trunk area) and then back to the front of the car.

Suppose I could just not use the heat exchanger and run and run a regular air to water up front. That is another option...
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

What's the big gain of having the radiator down the back (I built a Monza Speedway car with the radiator for a passenger) but that was with methanol.

Sounds like a desperate move for weight distribution.

Why can't you use a water to oil unit in the bottom hose at the front of the vehicle ?
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

Porsche used the scavenge return line for oil coolers, along with the engine mounted oil cooler that used the pressure side (on the air cooled flat sixes).

On their race cars, the coolers were nearly always on the scavenge side exclusively, with the engine mounted oil cooler replaced by a second oil filter.

On the water cooled cars, the oil cooler was cooled by the engine coolant, on the pressure side.

Of note, there's no pressure bypass on the scavenge side on most dry sump pumps, so be mindful of that when starting with cold oil. Oil pressure on the scavenge side can spike up pretty high (I've heard of over 250psi measured on a car that experienced an oil cooler failure because of a damaged/pinched cooler).
chimpvalet
Pro
Pro

Post by chimpvalet »

I've seen cold start oil pressure split open an Oberg filter in a dry sump installation. Gave us a lesson not to be forgotten.

Isn't water-oil exchange a better way? Gets oil temp up faster, particularly in colder climate situations.