From a solid roller to hydraulic roller

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

CamKing
Guru
Guru

Re: From a solid roller to hydraulic roller

Post by CamKing »

Bishop540 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:16 pm If someone cant prove it then they probably don't have any idea WHY. With all due respect...
With all due respect, when you've proven something, thousands of times, over 40+ years, there's no need to prove it again.

To anyone who knows anything about cams, the major issue with your cam selection, is the 107 LSA,
yet in your first post you proclaim "and I am not here to debate the LSA"

You were close minded to the problem, from the start. There's no fixing that.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Bigchief632
Pro
Pro

Post by Bigchief632 »

So, Mike, you're saying a street pump gas 632, it would be a bad idea to run a cam on a 99 degree lobe separation angle? I thought that would increase overlap and feed the cubes better. Isn't that the idea? That was a recommendation by a certain cam guru that A LOT of people follow. Obviously the above is sarcasm.
Maximum power using simple logic and common sense
Bishop540

Post by Bishop540 »

Bigchief632 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:58 pm
Bishop540 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:16 pm
CamKing wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:46 am
No need, you have it all figured out.
I'm sure Comp has a "Thumpr" cam that's just what you're looking for. :roll:
Pride comes before the fall my friend. I am here to learn, not to prove I'm right and your wrong. You have all the experience, not me. I just want to learn the WHY of all the myths. If someone cant prove it then they probably don't have any idea WHY. With all due respect...
The wide lobe separation, flattens the TQ curve, makes more on the bottom without the big hump in the middle, and carries farther, all else being equal. Not to mention better idle, drivability, fuel efficiency etc. In the example I gave you on the first page, that engine also picked up almost 60ftlbs at 3600, the lowest point tested both times, and lost about 20 in the middle and at peak It still made peak power around 6400, 6800 before, but obviously carried farther with the extra duration. All in all, a great "street" combo. Not to mention, as the cubes grow, the TQ increases by default. So it's pointless to try and make more where you can't use it all anyhow, and then have it fall off hard above peak. Not to mention reduce fuel economy, reduce manifold vacuum, reduce smooth drivability as well, pretty much achieving exactly OPPOSITE of what you want for a true street car. Especially one with an overdrive, and ac.
Thank you for your time and great explanation and experience. This helps a bunch. Its also good reading for future hotrodders who will be searching the internet for real world knowledge and experience.
Eric
Bishop540

Post by Bishop540 »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:58 pm Yes I was aware that the cam u have is the 502A5lun cam... Unfortunatly Harold has now passed.

When looking fir a new better street cam for you my instinct was to go for the milder 502A3 lun UDharold street strip cam.
Its also a UDharold Ultradyne cam.. (now offered by Lunsti)
But I'd really like you to tame it down just a hair more for driving in OD gear.. Thus the UDharold designed Voodoo #60232. new #40110732.
I'd really like you to take it a little step further and call Lunati and custom grind order this Voodoo cam on a 112 LSA..
Its easy and they like making custom grind cams for their customers.. Just call and ask.

The car will be much happier when driving in OD gear.
It will make a ton of street power right where you want it.
It does have a good 1½ to 2 step tamer driving nature.
It is a high perf street cam.. It will love nitrous also.
Your chevelle posts mention nitrous..
The 10:1 cr is just right.
As said the carb and diz may well need further fine tuning also..

With your tall tires and 3.73 street gears and a Overdrive trans. This cam will work much better overall while still making great power and torque.
I believe if UD Harold was still with us he would be steering you in this direction for a much better camshaft for how you use your car.

Did you know that the guy who runs the Lunati cam custom grinding shop is UDharold's old U D cams company "right hand man" ?
Yes sir. I have read a bunch of his posts in different Forums. Had a chance to talk with him before he passed, after his stroke. Great man.

Thanks but I wont get another custom grind on 112. I will just use the new one I have on my shelf that I talked about earlier. Heck, it may surprise me to be a great cam even with my low compression. I am 100% confident that it will drive better and accelerate better in OD. I'm just not sold that it will be as zippy as I want. Just a smoother, slower engine over a much broader rpm range. Much more rpm than I want or need in this car. Thanks!
Eric
Bigchief632
Pro
Pro

Post by Bigchief632 »

1980RS wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:50 pm Me I would put the LCA on a 114° you would never notice the loss of low end tq. and the 540 would have great street manners with a lot of vacuum. I know you said you don't want to debate LCA's but the reality is that a narrow LCA does ruin street manners somewhat and it's not like you would need to spin the engine that tight anyway to make great power with a 540. The old saying still rings true to this day, "where do you want your power band".
So, you're saying lsa is application specific? And isn't say cut and dried, like maybe a "formula" would suggest? Interesting. 🤔
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

Bishop540 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:45 pm
F-BIRD'88 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:58 pm Yes I was aware that the cam u have is the 502A5lun cam... Unfortunatly Harold has now passed.

When looking fir a new better street cam for you my instinct was to go for the milder 502A3 lun UDharold street strip cam.
But I'd really like you to tame it down just a hair more for driving in OD gear.. Thus the UDharold designed Voodoo #60232. new #40110732.
I'd really like you to take it a little step further and call Lunati and custom grind order this Voodoo cam on a 112 LSA..
Its easy and they like making custom grind cams for their customers.. Just call and ask.

With your tall tires and 3.73 street gears and a Overdrive trans. This cam will work much better overall while still making great power and torque.
I believe if UD Harold was still with us he would be steering you in this direction for a much better camshaft for how you use your car.

Did you know that the guy who runs the Lunati cam custom grinding shop is UDharold's old U D cams company "right hand man" ?
Yes sir. I have read a bunch of his posts in different Forums. Had a chance to talk with him before he passed, after his stroke. Great man.

Thanks but I wont get another custom grind on 112. I will just use the new one I have on my shelf that I talked about earlier. Heck, it may surprise me to be a great cam even with my low compression. I am 100% confident that it will drive better and accelerate better in OD. I'm just not sold that it will be as zippy as I want. Just a smoother, slower engine over a much broader rpm range. Much more rpm than I want or need in this car. Thanks!
Whats the specs on that one?
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

Bigchief632 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:09 pm So, Mike, you're saying a street pump gas 632, it would be a bad idea to run a cam on a 99 degree lobe separation angle? I thought that would increase overlap and feed the cubes better. Isn't that the idea? That was a recommendation by a certain cam guru that A LOT of people follow. Obviously the above is sarcasm.
Yes he does recommend very tight LSA and, yes TMC will calculate a LSA of 99 for a 632. But why would someone want to run a 2.19" Intake Valve in a 632? :shock:

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Bigchief632
Pro
Pro

Post by Bigchief632 »

Stan Weiss wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:03 pm
Bigchief632 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:09 pm So, Mike, you're saying a street pump gas 632, it would be a bad idea to run a cam on a 99 degree lobe separation angle? I thought that would increase overlap and feed the cubes better. Isn't that the idea? That was a recommendation by a certain cam guru that A LOT of people follow. Obviously the above is sarcasm.
Yes he does recommend very tight LSA and, yes TMC will calculate a LSA of 99 for a 632. But why would someone want to run a 2.19" Intake Valve in a 632? :shock:

Stan
I guess that's why that program still needs some work. And I agree, I don't know who would run a 2.19 in a 632. Or a 99 degree lobe separation angle, even with a 2.19 intake valve, that would be just flat wrong. Regardless of valve size.
Bishop540

Post by Bishop540 »

Stan Weiss wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:03 pm

Stan
Would love to hear that cam run, if someone had a 99 core to make it.
Eric
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

Bishop540 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:48 pm His tune and or timing must be out in left field.

Explain please
If you are saying you don't have any torque in a 540 and even if your cam is out to lunch. You should still have gobs of torque. 650lb or more.

It must be a tuning issue you are having.

Like others mentioned you could widen the lobe sep, it will make a smoother idle and torque curve.

I've run cams 20 degrees bigger than yours on the street in smaller engines. Fuel injection makes them run smoother than you would imagine. Also a proper calibrated carb will.

Are you trying to drive this thing in overdrive, up pikes peak below 2000rpm?
Bishop540

Post by Bishop540 »

Orr89rocz wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:55 pm

254/261 .716/.733 I was gonna use 1.8 rockers just so the lift would be higher. The higher EX just seems odd to me.
Eric
Bishop540

Post by Bishop540 »

mt-engines wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:15 pm
Bishop540 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:48 pm His tune and or timing must be out in left field.

Explain please
If you are saying you don't have any torque in a 540 and even if your cam is out to lunch. You should still have gobs of torque. 650lb or more.

It must be a tuning issue you are having.

Like others mentioned you could widen the lobe sep, it will make a smoother idle and torque curve.

I've run cams 20 degrees bigger than yours on the street in smaller engines. Fuel injection makes them run smoother than you would imagine. Also a proper calibrated carb will.

Are you trying to drive this thing in overdrive, up pikes peak below 2000rpm?
LOL. I use to call AED about the stumble but just here recently found 3 wires to be very low on ohms. The new wires cured most of the stumble. Still trying to figure out vacuum advance. Finally got me one. I have always driven it locked at 38.

I would not doubt that I still have a tuning issue but it wont cure lack of torque below 3000. Even UD said it was a weak cam below that rpm but the midrange is very strong. And it wants to pull past my Rev Limit of 6500.

Hindsight, I would have tested different advance/retard settings on the dyno but it had already surpassed my HP expectations, so I was satisfied. But I should have done it anyway. He gave me the dyno time to do it. And I have a timing chain and cover that could have easily done it. But it was my first ever dyno session. Rookie.
Eric
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

Bishop540 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:17 pm

254/261 .716/.733 I was gonna use 1.8 rockers just so the lift would be higher. The higher EX just seems odd to me.
That cam on a 112 likely will drive better imo. I dont think it needs 11:1 and 7000 rpm either
Last edited by Orr89rocz on Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Is the 99 c/l DV single pattern not very close to the 101 in take c/l of the UDharold dual pattern cam?

I get 102.9° LSA using the DV Big Block head formula 540cid 2.19" valve single pattern.

Monster *WOT* torque but not drivability in OD at part throttle..
There is a confusion on WOT torque "low end torque" ( within the cams tuned power band)

And low end part throttle "torque" (part throttle drivability)
Which when in OD is * outside* the cams best range because the cruise rpm is too low in OD.

The effective less valve overlap of the voodoo cam on 112 LSA. alows the engine to run much nicer at part throttle. Part throttle VS WOT is 2 different thingies.
Last edited by F-BIRD'88 on Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

The Voodoo cam is 273/279. 243/249 @.050" 110 (106/114) . .655"/..663". .018" hot.
sorry for the edit.

I suggest getting it custom made on 112 LSA (107/117) for effect on this car with OD trans.
A simple phone call.