Re-doing line hone

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Terrible Tom

Re-doing line hone

Post by Terrible Tom »

I had my SBC decked bored and line honed and I am considering using Main studs. I know you must line hone when changing hardware, but I have not put any hardware in the block since back from shop. Do I need to go have it line bored again since getting studs or will it be good like it is since it hasn’t been assembled since machining? Any advice would be appreciated
leahymtsps
Pro
Pro

Re: Re-doing line hone

Post by leahymtsps »

The only to know is put it together and measure the bores.

Tom
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

Yup, need to measure for the answer.

Pay close attention to the rear main cap. Most shops do not install an oil pump housing when they do the line bore. That will affect the diameter and roundness of that cap.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
Terrible Tom

Post by Terrible Tom »

Thanks I was afraid you would say that
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Experience says changing the clamping hardware changes the main bores. How much is the question. Again, experience, the change is going to be measurable, but will still most likely still be "on paper" as my machinist says.
(For those who don't speak Kenny, he writes down the tolerances from the book and when the measurement is within those, it's "on paper." Some specs for main bores give only .001" variance; some are .0025".)

To put it in perspective, most blocks which come in for line honing were running long and hard before being refreshed. Some of them will have been "off paper" considerably more than changing the fasteners will change your main bores.

The other variable is your crankshaft main journal OD. Measure it and tell the machinist measuring the main bores the OD. Again, is it on high spec, low spec or "in the middle." With the crank OD, it's easier for the line hone guy to give the bearing clearance you want.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Hrdlx62
Pro
Pro

Post by Hrdlx62 »

"on paper" now that I like :)