Oil pickup tube

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

jcisworthy
HotPass
HotPass

Oil pickup tube

Post by jcisworthy »

The two pickups pictured are for an AMC V8. One factory, the other a Canton and their pan.

How do you estimate the two match up in effectiveness?

The obvious it the size of the opening. The tubes are similar shape and ID size.

Bell compared to the rectangle cavity? I imagine the opening in the factory is adequate for the tube ID so is a bigger hole better or advantageous with essentially the same tube?

I ask because Moroso is making a new replacement higher capacity oil pan for an AMC V8 as of now, to be used with a factory pickup. They can change that at this point and offer a pickup to go with the pan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jcisworthy
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Oil pickup tube

Post by jcisworthy »

I labeled the pictures wrong. They are reversed
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

jcisworthy wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:52 am The two pickups pictured are for an AMC V8. One factory, the other a Canton and their pan.

How do you estimate the two match up in effectiveness?

The obvious it the size of the opening. The tubes are similar shape and ID size.

Bell compared to the rectangle cavity? I imagine the opening in the factory is adequate for the tube ID so is a bigger hole better or advantageous with essentially the same tube?

I ask because Moroso is making a new replacement higher capacity oil pan for an AMC V8 as of now, to be used with a factory pickup. They can change that at this point and offer a pickup to go with the pan.
I would say there would be no difference in performance except the one with fewer bends and/or a larger tube would be better.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

AM one is smaller screen area and can be cleaned easily, all welded construction.

OEM one is larger to account for poor maintenance, sludge in oil, and to function for 100K+ miles... all while being as cheap to produce as possible.
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

The Moroso pickup needs to be .250 away from the pan. The OE AMC pickup needs to be touching the pan. You shouldn’t have to crank the pan down with the bolts, but it should be an interference fit. They both will work.
jcisworthy
HotPass
HotPass

Post by jcisworthy »

They both are to be gapped.

From the factory, the stock AMC pickup had a plastic button in the bottom of the screen to prevent them from being sucked to the bottom of the pan. The plastic didn't always go the distance but initially they were there initially

I figured they were both comparable and the factory should work fine with the new pan