Dropping the exhaust decibels on street motor

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Re: Dropping the exhaust decibels on street motor

Post by JoePorting »

To keep it quiet I'd run the thickest small tube headers around and run them into a 2.5 exhaust system with a balance tube all the way out the back over the rear axles.
Joe Facciano
Bigchief632
Pro
Pro

Post by Bigchief632 »

Run 4 mufflers. I know numerous guys that have done that over the years. Usually because they got sick of being hassled by cops, or they have whiney neighbors. A bullet style first, then a big truck style turbo muffler with tail pipes.
Maximum power using simple logic and common sense
panic
Guru
Guru

Post by panic »

Add a step-down reducer from your local FLAPS at the exit, 1/4" to 1/2" smaller exit than current. It has been discovered that slightly reducing the diameter at the tip always reduces exhaust loudness, without significant loss of power. In many cases, only high RPM full-throttle power is affected, and the engine actually runs better at low to moderate speeds.
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

You can try to re-invent the wheel... or keep it simple.

The only kind of muffler I would run on something I wanted to make good power with, is something I can see straight through.
These style mufflers, Dynomax Ultraflow, Magnaflow, etc work surprisingly well.

The manufacturers sell mufflers in DIFFERENT LENGTHS. The longer mufflers (assuming they fit your chassis) are amazingly quiet, and are much quieter than the shorter ones. I've seen people get the longer ones, and change them for the shorter ones because they were too quiet. lol
jsgarage
Expert
Expert

Post by jsgarage »

Agree with the OP: I got tired of noisy cars sometime in the last century but muffler mfgrs consistently avoid mentioning what dBs you might expect when using their product. In fairness, this is possibly because there are SOOO many things that affect noise outa the tailpipes. That said, I've found exactly two (2.0) things that actually reduce noise without affecting power- one is, as was mentioned, sticking a giant straight-thru glasspak in each exhaust somewhere, and using turn-downs on the ends. That alone is worth about 1 dB as measured. I have four....
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

How about these?

Chambered exhaust.jpg

Mufflers in this case are behind the axle so there's room between the collector and the over the axle portion for this chambered deal.
That's following up on the idea of bullets (in the same location) before the traditional muffler downstream.
Thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

skinny z wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:44 pm How about these?

Chambered exhaust.jpg

Mufflers in this case are behind the axle so there's room between the collector and the over the axle portion for this chambered deal.
That's following up on the idea of bullets (in the same location) before the traditional muffler downstream.
Thoughts?
Had a buddy do 8 resonators 3 inch system 600hp ls, 12" long from jones mufflers..........with x-pipe , 2 resonators down both sides to diff, then 2 more resonators in each tail pipe.............i must say sounded nice and quiet at idle, and super smooth at WOT, but never got to dyno it to test from other system( car got Stolen).
malibuguy79

Post by malibuguy79 »

If you would of brought it to me...this would be my initial off the cuff idea.

Dual 3" with X or H into Flowmaster SUV 50s, i believe they call em Super 50s now. The large case works extremely well at dissipating the sound energy but they have larger internals to have plenty of flow capacity (vs a regular 50 that has like 2.5inch internals). Then probably some 18" bullets in the tailpipes with maybe a slight smaller final tailpipe like 2.75". The fiberglass filters out the high harsh notes well.

I use that 50 SUV muffler alot with very good results. Good sound without being over the top.

I try to avoid valves cuz they always fail eventually.
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

Chambered exhaust.jpg

Thoughts?
Who makes these?
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

stealth wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:48 am

Chambered exhaust.jpg

Thoughts?
Who makes these?
http://www.classicchambered.com/
Kevin