A visual example of the 90 degree crank drawback.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

A visual example of the 90 degree crank drawback.

Post by Tom68 »

5 and 7.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Re: A visual example of the 90 degree crank drawback.

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

As someone that like things to be orderly and sound smooth I liked the idea of flat crank V8s before ever working on one.

Then when I went to work at HPD on the Indy engine, they had both flat and 90 degree cranks.
I was disappointed to see that the power differences were not what one might expect.
In some ways better, in some ways worse.

Vibration, the flat crank was worse.

When I worked at Bryants crankshafts, in the early years, we were the first company that could make a really good billet crank. Racers from Pro Stock, NASCAR, Nitro etc all tried flat cranks, very few tried more than 1.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:47 am As someone that like things to be orderly and sound smooth I liked the idea of flat crank V8s before ever working on one.

Then when I went to work at HPD on the Indy engine, they had both flat and 90 degree cranks.
I was disappointed to see that the power differences were not what one might expect.

When I worked at Bryants crankshafts, in the early years, we were the first company that could make a really good billet crank. Racers from Pro Stock, NASCAR, Nitro etc all tried flat cranks, very few tried more than 1.
Wish there was some videos of those tests
juuhanaa
HotPass
HotPass

Post by juuhanaa »

So there should be some cheap wrong cranks for hot rodders to buy now. =P~
A balanced person dares to stagger, and modify ports bigger
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

As with a lot of things automotive, the flat plane vs cross plane issue is another compromise ......

Smaller capacity V8s, predominantly those racing in the tighter regulated formulae where winning is down to the last 'enth', will almost always be 'flat'

Larger capacity V8s, where the rules are looser and there is generally more variety, will usually be 'cross'

And it's mostly a vibration thing ...... even Cosworth struggled with it in the early days with their puny little 3 litres pulling eight grand ...... particularly the very destructive out of imbalance, twice engine speed, secondary harmonic
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:47 am As someone that like things to be orderly and sound smooth I liked the idea of flat crank V8s before ever working on one.

Yer flat 8 cranks for flat 8 motors, at least then they can run some stroke length.
Although the flat 8's do sound....well...a bit flat.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

englertracing wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:55 am Wish there was some videos of those tests
Honda is very secretive, and high security, during the hiring process I was never allowed to see the shop until my first day at work.

If you like engine dyno video of guys testing things with hope and cheer when there are good results, and "let's try this or that", you would be disappointed, it is nothing like that.

The dyno operators run double-blind tests, they execute a test plan and record the data, they are not informed of what change they are testing, as that could influence the process. Engineers were not allowed to go near the dyno rooms to avoid guesses by the operators about what was being tested.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Here is a good visualization of an 90* crank in the intake manifold with a common plenum:
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=303159527677911
(Converge CFD model from Roush-Yates)

I know the GM Engineers working on the IMSA / WEC / FIA Corvette C8R like the flat-plane crank because it pulls more evenly on the restrictors. They have BOP issues, but if they can fatten up things under the curve and make the BSFC better, it helps them in endurance racing.
-Bob
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:01 pm
englertracing wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:55 am Wish there was some videos of those tests
Honda is very secretive, and high security, during the hiring process I was never allowed to see the shop until my first day at work.

If you like engine dyno video of guys testing things with hope and cheer when there are good results, and "let's try this or that", you would be disappointed, it is nothing like that.

The dyno operators run double-blind tests, they execute a test plan and record the data, they are not informed of what change they are testing, as that could influence the process. Engineers were not allowed to go near the dyno rooms to avoid guesses by the operators about what was being tested.
Well I mean a flat plane cup motor or, prostock or top fuel.
I'm sure the prostock and fuel guys made passes especially since the fuel guys aren't dynoing.
juuhanaa
HotPass
HotPass

Post by juuhanaa »

BCjohnny wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:51 am As with a lot of things automotive, the flat plane vs cross plane issue is another compromise ......

Smaller capacity V8s, predominantly those racing in the tighter regulated formulae where winning is down to the last 'enth', will almost always be 'flat'

Larger capacity V8s, where the rules are looser and there is generally more variety, will usually be 'cross'

And it's mostly a vibration thing ...... even Cosworth struggled with it in the early days with their puny little 3 litres pulling eight grand ...... particularly the very destructive out of imbalance, twice engine speed, secondary harmonic
I can tell some tips how to reduce weight from rotatin assembly 😂 It follows the cylinder head porting process, i mean the hole process not flow numbers :wink:

Port and polish 😂😂😂🤣
A balanced person dares to stagger, and modify ports bigger
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

englertracing wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:12 pm Honda is very secretive, and high security, during the hiring process I was never allowed to see the shop until my first day at work.

Well I mean a flat plane cup motor or, prostock or top fuel.
I'm sure the prostock and fuel guys made passes especially since the fuel guys aren't dynoing.
[/quote]

I guess there were only about 20 made in the 4 years I was there.
Those were the first 4 years, there were probably more after that.
I don't know if that kind of stuff gets sold on eBay or not.

I know of one nitro team that dyno tested.
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

juuhanaa wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:28 am So there should be some cheap wrong cranks for hot rodders to buy now. =P~
They probably didn't abandon the idea because the "NVH concerns", it was a more "concrete" downside.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:01 pm

You must have loved it them doing it right.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

ptuomov wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:39 pm They probably didn't abandon the idea because the "NVH concerns", it was a more "concrete" downside.
In the case of the IHRA Pro Stock applications which had strokes around 5.0 at the time, they were undrivable because of vibration.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:00 am
ptuomov wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:39 pm They probably didn't abandon the idea because the "NVH concerns", it was a more "concrete" downside.
In the case of the IHRA Pro Stock applications which had strokes around 5.0 at the time, they were undrivable because of vibration.
Wow, I guess they had to try it, but anything over a pissant capacity that is being used in a weight sensitive environment is always going to be a disaster.