Is E85 being Phazed out in your area?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

NXBOY
Pro
Pro

Is E85 being Phazed out in your area?

Post by NXBOY »

Stop by a gas station in Il. and they got rid of it at two of there stores and Lady there said it wasn't something about enviromental friendly lol, But what about all the other lower ethanal blends, sale a huge amount of it.
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Is E85 being Phazed out in your area?

Post by Orr89rocz »

Last couple years we been getting more stations that carry it and even some e15 88 oct pumps. Doesnt appear to be phasing out here in western pa
BBCFAN

Post by BBCFAN »

We would have to travel a 300 mile round trip to get it.

It has never been in our area.
Elroy
Pro
Pro

Post by Elroy »

Lost one E85 station near me in the last year and a half or so. Missouri. Still got one real close and a few in the general area. Hopefully it stays that way.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Never really looked ... it was only a little less expensive than regular gasoline and a new car used about twice as much.
If it was more economical I would have paid more attention.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:37 am Never really looked ... it was only a little less expensive than regular gasoline and a new car used about twice as much.
Thats odd, its always been way cheaper than regular here. Like precovid it was like 1.99-2.09 or so. I think regular was always a dollar or so more. But its been much closer now like 3.29 vs 3.99
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

Orr89rocz wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:57 pm
Walter R. Malik wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:37 am Never really looked ... it was only a little less expensive than regular gasoline and a new car used about twice as much.
Thats odd, its always been way cheaper than regular here. Like precovid it was like 1.99-2.09 or so. I think regular was always a dollar or so more. But its been much closer now like 3.29 vs 3.99
I've noticed even at the blend pumps e85 is more expensive than than e10/e15/e30

Doesn't make sense that e30 is $.60 cheaper than e10 and e15 is $.30.

I race 2 cars on e85.. last year was 1.60/gallon this year was 2.38. I have noticed in the past few weeks its raised another dollar.

Either way I'm sure the answer to this is political..

10 years ago it seemed you couldn't find a city that didn't have it.. now it seems they have pulled a lot of pumps from gas stations and replaced with non oxy
Chris_Hamilton
Pro
Pro

Post by Chris_Hamilton »

Around here in Virginia, Sheetz is the only one that has it. Can't remember seeing it anywhere else though either.
High quality metal, body and paint work
http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.php?t ... inia.9030/
V12MECH

Post by V12MECH »

Fewer new cars have E85 option, up here in northern Ohio it's available and less than regular 87 per gal. @ speedway stations.
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

Are you saying ethanol blends are being discounted as on SALE. :?
Jim
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

Fewer stations around here have E85.

I think folks figured out that it was a politically-motivated rip-off.
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

Little hard to find in my area.Filled last week at 3.49 a gal compared to 6.09 for 87.Tom
68post

Post by 68post »

I hope not , but I'll check at one of the very few stations here that have blender pumps and the ones that additionally carry just E85 also. E30 is likely our best new premium high octane fuel. If I were racing then it would probably be with E85 vs. racing fuel.
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

For boosted guys you cant beat e85. Its been phenomenal for me, my bbc turbo made 1832 whp on it lol

When regular was over 4 a gal, i was running e15 in my 17 sierra truck. It was 40-50 cents less then 87. And i didnt seem to notice any mpg difference
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

E85 had/has A lot of misinformation and it was never explained properly to people. Still I'm no E85 fanboi

Anyways there is a good video explaining it on youtube. Basically says the rating system that they use doesn't account for the volume difference VS energy output, so it's doomed to fail because of MPG standards. Also they make it from FEED corn and the leftover is still used for feed and is a sought after form of feed.

The biggest problems is older cars weren't made to handle it and when you convert a gas car to E85. Even if you change the soft lines then it'll flush all the built up gunk in the tank/system and clog filters & injectors. Even the E10 that is most places these days is hard on carbs if let sitting in my opinion. The video explained while modern cars can handle E10-E15 adding more Ethanol(I forget the amount) could be too much even for them.

I don't think there is any silver bullet and it's gonna take a combined solution. A mix of alternative fuels and EV but I know that won't happen. It's EV or bust from our rulers and it's gonna go Bust! Because that's what they want. EV opens up the possibilities to expand control in various ways and that's why they will make it happen.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!