Anti Reversion Chamber on hexaust

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Desmoguzzi

Anti Reversion Chamber on hexaust

Post by Desmoguzzi »

Dear All, some of you have any guide for the design of the anti reversion chamber? I see there are some parameters to play with but i cannot find any reference. For example what is best chamber volume, depth and diameter in relation to engine spec?
ar-muffler.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tartilla

Re: Anti Reversion Chamber on hexaust

Post by Tartilla »

What is your intent to achieve with the anti-reversion?

Performance Marine engines have massive issues with reversion, as it aerates the raw water in the exhaust, and draws it back into the exhaust port.

Pipemax has some good data that feeds out the tuning lengths etc for the various harmonics.

The best method to not have the exhaust revert, is having somewhere for it to go.

The anti-reversion chamber is going to mess with the reflected waves. Vizard has some good info on expansion chambers, that will act like anti-reversion.
Erland Cox
Guru
Guru

Post by Erland Cox »

Whatever you try to do with the chamber there always seems to be pulses travelling backwards.
I tried an absorbtion straight thru damber and it worked much better than all the chambers i built.

Erland
Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan Timberlake »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_valve

"It has also been shown that the device works better with pulsatile flows."
MetricMuscle

Post by MetricMuscle »

Desmoguzzi wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:34 am Dear All, some of you have any guide for the design of the anti reversion chamber? I see there are some parameters to play with but i cannot find any reference. For example what is best chamber volume, depth and diameter in relation to engine spec?

ar-muffler.jpg
The only parameters I'm aware of pertain to Pressure Wave Termination Boxes which use an anti-reversion type inlet. Inlet tube, end of collector, should extend about 2" into the chamber and the chamber DIAMETER should be at least 20% larger. Chamber volume should be 2x engine displacement. Chamber location depends on optimal collector length which takes priority over all other components.

Apparently chamber volume can include some of the tubing exiting the chamber but I don't know this is calculated.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Desmoguzzi wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:34 am Dear All, some of you have any guide for the design of the anti reversion chamber? I see there are some parameters to play with but i cannot find any reference. For example what is best chamber volume, depth and diameter in relation to engine spec?

ar-muffler.jpg
Doubt that would stop reversion placed anywhere in the system. What you like to think will happen when you look at it is unlikely to be what actually happens.
I think the little chambers on the KTM 4t pipes just have a bleed hole in the internal pipe.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

Desmoguzzi wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:34 am For example what is best chamber volume, depth and diameter in relation to engine spec?
You should choose the engine to discuss. There is no exhaust rule that works on all engines.